• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Brush Cutters

YourBobbersUnder

I am in the market for a brush cutter to pull behind my ATV to clear scrub brush and small trees. I've seen ads that say their machines can cut trees up to 2". I've never seen one in operation but find this hard to believe. I would appreciate any advice on a good machine. Thanks.

If I was to buy one, it would be a swisher from northern tool. Sorry I don't have first hand experience to tell you about, but that is what I would do.

In order to use one, you have to be able/willing to drive the atv over the trees or brush first, so that can give you an idea on what you can cut.

I really wish I could buy one, but they are rather expensive. I don't know if I could drive around slow enough either for it to work. smile.gifblush.gifsmile.gif

I watched a commercial on TV yesterday about a brush cutter that can be offset to the side of an ATV. I think the brand was DR or whatever brand is seen a lot on the tube. DR is the brand and it is called a field and brush mower. They claim it will cut 2 1/2" trees. I think they said 6 month free trial.

I tried one last summer and was dissapointed. more like a big mower. Ended up having to rent bobcat and brush cutter. that was the way to do it.

Yourbob...

Three years ago we bought a Swisher 44" rough-cut Mower. This operates basically like a pto driven brush hog only it has its own motor. At first I was a little skeptical about the capabilities of this mower. Now, after using it for three years, I am really impressed. We maintain around 7.5 miles of trail, and several food plots with this mower. Like jtm said, it’s quite possible you may need a skidder to make a trail (removing humps, stumps, and trees) however; it would be hard to beat this mower for removing the remaining brush and keeping the trail open. I made two modifications to the mower. 1. The hitch had some rinky-dink clevis that required mounting a piece on the ATV. Not a good idea if several different ATV’s are used. Because I already use a ball for my atv trailer, removed what they supplied and connected a 1 7/8 inch ball hitch. 2. They have supply hardware to mount the blade engagement and start switch to the ATV back rack. I mounted the control on an18” piece of 2x6 so it can be quickly be strapped to the rack.

There are a couple negatives. 1. Backing on rough terrain can be difficult because the back of the mower is slopped down and digs in easily. 2. It is difficult to make a tight turn and you can get boxed in if you aren’t careful.

If you have any specific questions, just ask.