• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Twins Season Opener

I went to the Twins Season Opener last night and had okay tickets, we were in section 229 row 11. I had a cable for the netting running right between me and home plate, but I made do with the conditions. For all the tech guys, I had to bump the ISO up to 1600 in there to get enough light, but with the 70-200 f4, there was very little noise. I shot in AV mode on the Digital Rebel. I hope you enjoy viewing them as much as I enjoyed taking them.

Here is Mauer with his first hit of the new season.

IMG_0184.jpg

Here is a sweet shot of Morneau connecting for his first Homer of the season. The ball is just coming off of the bat.

IMG_0203.jpg

Here is Rondell White with a shot that ended in an out I believe.

IMG_0214.jpg

Here is Santana showing that he is ready to go for the new year.

IMG_0228.jpg

Here is a shot of Cuddyer with a hit, can’t remember if this was an out or not.

IMG_0241.jpg

A nice collision at home plate that had the catcher seeing stars.

IMG_0261.jpg

And another of Morneau, this time the double he should have had, but the ump gave him a blown call.

IMG_0280.jpg

Here is the evidence of the blown call, clearly safe.

IMG_0281.jpg

Here is a bunt that advanced Tyner from second to third, eventually turning into run number 7.

IMG_0304.jpg

Joe Nathan on the final pitch and earning that first save of the season.

IMG_0339.jpg

Tom, thanks for sharing those. I was busy last night and unable to look in on the Twins, so this is almost like I was there. grin.gif

Very good noise performance for the D-Rebel at iso1600. Is that the original 6.3Mp Rebel, or the XT/XTi? I forget which you have.

That would be the original 6.3 Rebel. With other lenses the noise is much more detramental. I have the 75-300 f4.5-5.6 and that lens is very bad for noise. But using the 70-200 is a big change. I love that lens. Going to start making an expensive hobby even more so.

A side note, these photos were not even shot at full size for the camera, I actually tuned it down to medium size and fine compression cause I forgot to empty the card and had lots of photos of the little guy I couldn't delete. Still turned out pretty darn good though.

Tom

You did an incredible job of capturing the action. You caught that blown call at second perfectly! Thanks for posting the pics. Did you any any difficulty getting your equipment into the dome? I assume you shot at f4 mostly. What shutter speed did you use?

Thanks for the great shots. Now I know it was the elbow shot from Morneau that put the butterfly bandage on the catchers chin. They should have given you a card reader with a very long cable to show that blown call on the big screen. Sometimes it makes you wonder when the second base ump is standing right behind the play and after all the tie traditionaly goes to the runner.

I just walked right in. Had the strap around my neck and cradling the camera in my arm while I handed the attendant my ticket. A lens much bigger in diameter might not be able to make it, but I went through without a hitch. It was pretty awesome. I did shoot at f4, ISO 1600, and most of the shots were between 1/600 to 1/1000 depending on how much turf was in the shot. Wouldn't it be nice to get into the photographer booth down by first or third base? I just might have to see what it takes to get in there.

Tom

Yeah, if you look closely at the photo of the blown call on second, the ump is already clentching his fist to make the call of out before the second baseman even makes it to the bag. Its pretty obvious he was safe. Luckily, it didn't effect the outcome of the game. Had they lost, this picture would be sent to Gardy, on second thought, maybe I should anyway.

Tom

Great shots Tom, you've captured some good action. As far as getting into the photo wells. If you work for the Twins as a staff photographer, MLB, or one of the wire services and have credentials....you should not have much trouble. grin.gif

I have only had press credentials one time, and that was to shoot the World Of Wheels car show in St. Paul a couple months back. Don’t think that qualifies though. Maybe some day, until then, I will just have to keep praying. smirk.gif

Quote:

I have only had press credentials one time, and that was to shoot the World Of Wheels car show in St. Paul a couple months back. Don’t think that qualifies though. Maybe some day, until then, I will just have to keep praying.
smirk.gif

Or get better seats down close. I shot a few games at the Dome a few weeks ago. College, but you get the idea. Usually you just make the best of what you've got, and you've done that.

134301211-L.jpg

134308717-L.jpg

Of course, even if you got there, I suspect there'd be a bit of jostling and bumping from the long-time pros. A catcher staking out home plate hasn't got a thing over a STrib or Sports Illustrated shooter who habitually plants his 400 f2.8 in the same spot.

News flash! Collision in the photographers' well! Rookie takes seven stitches but 400L survives without a scratch! grin.gif

These days I have a hard time watching any sporting event on TV. I'm too busy gazing at the big white lenses on the sidelines and behind the outfield walls.

I know exactly what you mean. Its like a sickness, you sit and count how many thousands of dollars each guy is holding in his hands. And now that I am getting more into shooting, every time I see a wide receiver take out a photographer in the amazing end zone catch, I cringe. I feel their pain. I have been in the line of fire at the BMX track, it gets kinda scary. Wedding photography is a lot safer, most of the time.

By the way, those are some great shots DBL. What equipment were you shooting for those. I would like to get some better seats for a game, maybe down on just past 3rd about 6 or 7 rows up. The front would be nice, but those seats are pretty hard to get.

Quote:

By the way, those are some great shots DBL. What equipment were you shooting for those. I would like to get some better seats for a game, maybe down on just past 3rd about 6 or 7 rows up. The front would be nice, but those seats are pretty hard to get.

Just a little ole' 20D and a big ole' 300/2.8 grin.gif Actually the area you are talking about makes for some great photos.

...and send the shots of Mauer, Morneau and White to Rondell and see if he can tell why he's not in the M&M boys' league at the plate.

(a hint for you non-baseball types: look at the front knee)

Please tell me Joe Vavra has been all over White for this?!?!?

If you could see the original image, when you zoom in on that part of the photo, you can actually see the deformation of the ball, there is a big flat spot on the back where it is coming off the bat. Its pretty freakin cool.

Thanks for all the comments on the photos. I was really happy to be able to share them with all.

Tom

Tom, those are called "BOB"s, bat on ball shots. I know I have a few around here somewhere. Here are couple of close bobs that show some nice bat distortion. The first is a wood bat shot.

137572507-L.jpg

Not a great photo but shows the aluminum distortion.

68387411-L.jpg

After you get a few you start looking for something different. I like the chalk in this one, again not a great shot from the back.

65960853-L.jpg

I know I have a few more around, I would have to wade through a bunch to find them.

Dan

Shiner, are you talking about that fantastic diving catch by the line? The one that Torii or Tyner would have been roasting marshmallows while waiting for it to come down?

By the way, polarusd81; nice shots!

...and now the fleet-footed RoWhite is on the DL after straining a calf trying to climb out of the dugout. Well maybe Kubel will get some more practice at trying to read the ball off the bat in left (was that sad last night or what?).

Ok, I'm done "critiquing". tongue.gif

Sorry for hi-jacking the post!!!

dbl, I love those "flex" shots.