• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

fillet knife

The Chemist

I want to say it is a 4". Works real good for panfish and small 'eyes. use the 6" for bigger northerns, walleyes and cats. Use the 9" for large northerns.(The 9" was a mistake x-mas gift. I thought the size included the handle. To my suprise it's the blade length. Oh well it still works.

My vote is for the retractable Cutco. I love this knife and I have a half dozen different fillet knifes. This knife is very sharp. Holds it edge. The blade is nice and supple to bend as you fillet. The ability to expand for larger fish is great and the plastic sheath has a hook sharpener and built in grip.

I have the 9" Chicago Cutlery, wood handle. I have had it 16 years now. I can't say how many fish I have cleaned with it, but it is a lot. If you clean a lot of fish you are better off spending the money on a good one, then you only have to do it once.ScottS

I too own the CUTCO Retractable knife and would recomend it highly. It's blade is completly removable for cleaning the handle is non-slip when wet. Very flexable blade and has held an edge for 3 years now & when it gets dull or broken they will resharpen\replace it for free the only charge you will have is shipping it back to them. A little more $$ than others but well worth it.

Good Luck & try one.

SportFishin'

This is one item that you get what you pay for!! Two words here....CARBON STEEL.
Yes, you will have to put an occassinal edge
on it,but you also oil yer guns after you use them too.Stainless is great while its sharp,
but once it gets dull,it can be quite a pain putting a good edge back on it.

The one way to curethe problem w/ a dull edge - sharpen the knife before you return it to the sheath. Of course I probably have more of an arsenal of knife sharpening devices than the average angler and have been trained since I was 8 on how to use it all. (Father is a Meat cutter)

I have a Rapala folding 5" that works great for smaller fish. It has a black handle, takes and holds an edge very well. For larger fillet {7-9"} knives get yourself some Chicago cutlery...these are premium!

Fisky

I like the Cutco Retractable knives, I think they go from 6" to 10", I can't remeber for sure.

Chemist, what is the smallest Rapala knife you have? I just got one I think is 3". I haven't had the opportunity to use it yet but I know it will come in handy for panfish.