• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Tree trunk sections?

federline

I have a rustic fire ring project brewing to take sections of tree trunk 12"-18" for simple stools around a recreational fire ring, and to 12"-18" to cut lengthwise to build benches. It's not a big production, its for a private residence, I figure I'll only need about 15' of 12"-18" dia trunk in 2', 4', or 6' lengths. Rot is not OK, the sections should be solid. Where's my best bet to haul home something like this? Stalk Xcel Energy's tree cutters? grin.gif Easier ways? I'm already keeping my eyes peeled for anyone taking down a tree on the off chance it would work - I'll haul away trunk sections that would work for me for a homeowner or business that does not want to keep - I'd consider hauling a full-size pickup load of any wood away, if there's suitable trunks in it. Thanks for any help.

Your best bet would be to contact the bigger tree companies in your area and find out what they do with their logs and if you could get some of them. Most of them have to pay to get rid of the logs one way or another.

Another thing to consider is the weight of the logs. I would plan on getting a trailer for moving the larger of the logs. You will not want to get them in and out of your pickup bed.

Anybody who handles a large volume of wood products will come across logs like you're seeking. I doubt Asplundh (Exel's contractor) will have any only because most of the trees in the power line corridors have been trimmed for years and are generally smaller.

I work for a west metro suburb doing forestry and we have logs that size and bigger just laying around until we have to whole lot ground into mulch. I know they are out there, you just have to call around. I'm sure you could find them for free.

I work a lot in the area, Ward Carlson south of buffalo does some demo and land clearing for us. I'd bet if you gave him a call he could help you out. It'd be a lot closer than any of the bigger clearing companies.

I've got some logs like that, many in fact

If you're interested I'm located near Forest Lake.

You can cut the pieces here if you'd like, or take the whole log.

I do firewood, they're all oak.

If you would have posted this 2 weeks ago, you could have had anything up to about 40" in diameter, but I've already cut those into 16" blocks.

Anyways, here's my email....

[email protected]

I'll be working on them starting the week of March 10, after that, the logs will be here about 1 month, before they're all turned into firewood.

Great replies, thanks!!! And thanks for the offer, Lwn. Forest Lake is just a bit outta my way, tho. grin.gif However, you guys gave me an idea about who I can ask right here in town, in my own neighborhood even. smile.gif