• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Kodiak 400 Starter or Battery?

Otts

I tested the battery and it test fine. When I push the starter all I hear is a clicking sound under the seat. Usually I think of the battery but it tested fine. The piece the clicks has two wires coming from the battery to it and is about 2 inches square. There are small fuses on each side of it. I can feel it click. Is there any way that I can test this thing?

Thanks for any info possible.

Otts

Like Dave said take a good 12 volt battery and jump start it. if it still doesnt start and just clicks your starter could be locked up , Normally on the yamahas I usally ended up replacing the battery or once in a while the starter, not to often the seloniod goes bad. If u want to bypass the selonoid un hook wire that runs down to starter from seloniod and put 12 volts to it if starter doesnt turn then, its locked up, or your starter clutch could have broken

What you may be hearing "click" is probably the starter solenoid. You can test it by jumping directly from the battery + to where the battery cable connects to the starter. Assuming all the connections are clean and tight, if it cranks then, the solenoid is not working. If it doesn't crank then the starter is bad.

Jumped it with an extra battery and it started. THe guy at the ATV place said the battery tested fine didn't think I needed to pay $100 for a new battery. I charged the battery for a week and it wouldn't turn it over. From what just happpened, I am guessing it is the battery.

Otis~

Same thing happened to me on my Kody 400. From what I learned from a previous post on here, the batteries have a "shelf life" of approximately 4 years, which was exactly how old mine was. Time to pony up for a new battery, my friend.