• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

ethics of bowfishing

You can certainly draw a parallel to varmint hunting, coyotes and prairie dogs etc... Some populations need to be controlled to better the whole balance. Carp and most other "rough fish" species are prolific and not harvested by game fishermen. However, every effort should be made to find a way to utilize your catch in some way.

I see no problem with it for carp and other exotic species, but I have a problem with other "rough fish". I don't condone doing this with suckers, bowfin, gar, etc. because they are native fish. now, if you want to shoot them and actually eat them, go ahead, but please don't waste native fish!

Carp, on the otherhand, I have no problem shooting and throwing in the dumpster. If I had something better to do with them, I would, but trash is my best option right now.

Please be careful when throwing Carp into the Super America dumpster on 44th and Lake Street in MPLS my neigbor hangs out in there looking for day old bakery for his Bear hunting bait pile.....just give a little shout before tossing them in ... grin.gif

Thanks Pier...

Quote:

Please be careful when throwing Carp into the Super America dumpster on 44th and Lake Street in MPLS my neigbor hangs out in there looking for day old bakery for his Bear hunting bait pile.....just give a little shout before tossing them in ...
grin.gif

Thanks Pier...

LOL! Mine go in my apartment complex's dumpster. I can only imagine rooting around for old doughnuts and getting dumped on by a garbage can full of bloody, slimy carp smile.gif

As far as I know it's illegal to use fish for bait for bear. Since carp have a season I would assume they are not comparable to varmints, but I've found no good use for them. My great aunt and uncle say they taste like salmon when they are canned, but they may have lost their taste buds grin.gif

Eye; Carp dont have a season there Rough fish, no limit no season,no spearing or archery from march to may 1st only to protect game fish from accidential spear, arrow and from illeagle taking of game fish use all ya want for bear unless Bear rules prohibit it!

Quote:

I see no problem with it for carp and other exotic species, but I have a problem with other "rough fish". I don't condone doing this with suckers, bowfin, gar, etc. because they are native fish. now, if you want to shoot them and actually eat them, go ahead, but please don't waste native fish!

Carp, on the otherhand, I have no problem shooting and throwing in the dumpster. If I had something better to do with them, I would, but trash is my best option right now.

Do some carp have a sucker mouth?

I can't tell the difference between carp, and really big suckers. Unless the mouth is the only difference.