• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Super Black Eagle

Whisker Trout Slayer

I recently inherited my dads SBE as he died after a short battle with cancer at the young age of 54. I don't know much about this gun except that he used it for turkeys, geese ducks and pheasants. I have always wanted to buy an semi automatic shotgun as I have used my 500 my whole life, so I need more info on it. Now I have one, but can't enjoy it with my dad out hunting.

My question is: Has anyone here bought the slug barrel for it and used it deer hunting? How well does it work? Any gun jams or freezing due to real cold temps? Do you use a 3 inch shell or will the 2 3/4 shell work fine? I think I seen somewhere to expect to pay about $450 for the barrel.

So any info from the guys who use theirs deer hunting any info would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Shane

So sorry to hear about your dad passing, and at such a young age.

I have a SBE, it is a great gun with an awesome action, freezing and jams should not be an issue at all with that action regardless of the conditions.

You are correct about the slug barrel (fore-end too I think) and probably close on the price. I don't use mine deer hunting and don't have the slug barrel, but looked into it once a few years back and what you say sounds like what I recall.

Sorry to hear for your loss.

I have the SBE and really like it. Have never had a problem with the action. but when I'm shooting really light loads they dont tend to kick out. As far as slug goes, I shoot about 8 inches high with my bird barrel, but my dads shoots right on the money. I believe its called the bent barrel issue, I would put the improved cylinder ( check the manual to make sure) and just try shooting it and see how it groups you might get lucky and wont have to shell out $500.

I've tried both with not much luck with either. If you have the same problem that i have i would go out and buy a clip on rifled sight to be able to adjust for the bullet. All depends on what you want to spend what you feel comfortable with.

I've had a SSE and well as some of my other family members for several years. A few tips. I've never ran into a SSE that shoots slugs effectively. Slug barrels are expensive, but almost a must to use your gun for slugs.

Another important tip. Don't over lubricate your gun!! There is a small hole on the bottom side of your gun. Under the action. About 2 drops of oil in that hole and about 1 or 2 drops of oil inside the action in the rail. If you over oil your gun dirt and dust stick to it!! You'll have problems!!

Just my 2 cents

I have hunted with a SBE for 8 years now and I love it for waterfowl and upland game. I tried using it a few times for deer but haven't had much success with it. It seems to always shoot low for me. I ended up just buying a slug barrel for my BPS and now I use that slug hunting. I shoot left handed and they don't make a slug barrel for the LH model. If they did I would definetly buy it so I could use my SBE deer hunting.

I have used one before and it worked great... I didn’t have problems with mine shooting low but slugs are so unpredictable... Just make sure you have the right chock in the gun before you shot a slug out of it(cant remember witch one)!!! Good Luck and Sorry to hear about your dad smirk.gif

Sorry for your loss. That is a great gun to have as a legacy from your dad! I have a SBE and I also have been looking into this this year. I ended up getting the fore end ( $120.0 !? ouch) because I had an old $100 gift certificate for Brownells so it only cost me $30 out of pocket. I am currently trying to track down a barrel. I found the same, ~450.00 from Kittery trading post, I think. Let me know what you find, maybe you can find something cheaper... I really wanted to get a T/C encore so I was thinking of doing that instead and using a muzzeloader. I do love the gun though and have used it for all manner of birds. I do have a scope mount (fits over the receiver using the gun's trigger mounting pins) that I use a halo-sight mounted on for turkeys. Good luck!