• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Are you into spoonplugging?

Questor

I understand Buck Perry's spoonplugging method and will be applying it as a discipline this year.

How have spoonplugs worked out for you compared to other bottom bouncing crankbaits? Are they obsolete now that we have other designs in deep running crankbaits that weren't available in the early 70's?

I didn't fish much last year but 2 and 3 years ago I used some spoonplug for speed trolling (4mph up to 6mph) and they worked awesome. If you speed troll be sure to use mono and leave your drag loose or you'll loose all the fish ripping the lips.

Questor,

Did you spend some time reading his books? I learned the techniques from reading the books and learning from my dad who went to a couple of Buck's on the water seminars. Whether I'm pulling spoonplugs or other crank baits I still utilize the information. Speed & depth control are what it's all about.

If you do a google for Spoonplugs you find Buck's son is still selling the spoonplugs, no bow line and books.

Good Luck!

I believe that understanding Buck Perry's concepts is one of the first steps that you take to go from being a fisherman to an advanced angler. Understanding how fish relate to structure and how they transition from deep water to shallow is a big step that the average fisherman doesn't take. Most of us owe Buck a great deal when it comes to understanding fish. Particularly when fishing new water and having a little success.

Borch:

I read Spoonplugging and decided I'd use his methods this coming year. I've got some foam to make markers with, and I bought some spoonplugs from Bucks Baits. That book did more for my understanding of using trolling as a tool than all the other books I've read put together.

90% of the fish are in 10% of the water. There aint no quicker way to find them then Buck's way.

My largest fish last year came on a spoonplug. I was running a break from 14'-20' in mid-July. A 36.5" flathead had givin in to a yellow and orange spoonplug.

I find 14lb fireline and a linecounter reel will work better then No-Bow. The small Dia. and no strech of fireline is just what he would have used if it were around in his day.

Muddog:

I think he would have used braid too. I'll be using 30# Power Pro because I like it, and a linecounter reel.

Do you know of any other sources of Spoonplugs? Bucks Baits nicks you for $13 shipping with each order.

No I don't. I do see light faded packages of them once and a while. Too bad though. I, like some of you, feel this is a go to system for new water or when the fish have moved and you need to make contact.

At $13.00 a pop, I may switch to 30lb Power pro just to protect my investment. grin.gif

Muddog:

It wasn't $13 per lure, it was $13 per shipment. So if you ordered maybe 10 lures at a time it would be kind of reasonable. But if you just needed one or two, I don't think most people would buy. That's too bad.

Some of the lures are pretty expensive, like an 800 is close to $10 before shipping costs.

My opinion is that I'll probably use the ones I bought, then figure out how to translate what I've learned from the spoonplugs to other deep running crankbaits. I don't think I'll ever use the spoonplugs for casting, just trolling relatively clean bottom.

It's to bad Buck's son isn't half the promotor that his father was. It seem one of the big Bait Mfg, could buy them out. It shouldn't take much to stamp out and paint a spoonplug. With the Walleye Pro tour I'm sure someone could win somthing with them.

It's probably just a question of priorities in life.

I also bought a rod from them and for what you pay, the finish and componentry is pretty poor, except for the guides which seem very good. Functionally I'm sure it will be fine, but it sure is ugly. There seems to be an insistence on using 1960's technology for everything. Fiberglass blank, cheap plastic handle, blank that doesn't go through the handle, light gray blank with bright red wrapping. Poor finish that looks like it was applied during a dust storm. All this for $85.

Then there's the No-Bo line in a world where braid is so compatible with the spoonplugging methodology.

It all seems like a nostalgic cult.

This is too bad, because with a little modernizing and competent editing, the products are just as salable today as ever, perhaps more salable because they are good ideas and techniques which have withstood the test of time. There aren't a lot of things in the world of fishing technique that have stood up so well.

I look forward to learning with Perry's inventions and information, but it's sad that they are likely to disappear into obscurity soon after his death.

Buck was quite the guy. He did some marketing but his success as well as the success of his students sold the equipment, books and seminars. Lots of great info there that drives fishing still today.

Muddog:

I think part of the problem is that so many of us look for magic techniques without ever really understanding the fundamentals. It's a bit strenuous to really master the fundamentals of anything worthwhile.

In-Fisherman has been great at selling the technique and equipment du jour and I don't begrudge them for it. It's evidently what people want.

The only guy I know who is a spoonplugging maniac is Josh Stevenson of Blue Ribbon Bait in St. Paul (Maplewood?). His shop has the biggest selection of Spoonplugs probably in the entire state--no kidding! He also knows how to use them in a variety of conditions for a variety of species. The guy is a spoonplugging nut.