• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

A few boat shots....

Dbl

....just from a different location. There are a few places that still have some open water. These were shot Saturday on the Maine coast. Just a little something different to view.

#1 A Christmas tree stand!

125862763-L.jpg

#2 Belfast, ME harbor

125860334-L-2.jpg

#3 Schooners shrinked for the season

125860456-L.jpg

4. Lobster boats in Camden, ME

125868808-L.jpg

#5 Closer view of the lobster boats

125869238-L.jpg

125869024-L.jpg

#7 Evening in the harbor

125869127-L.jpg

Thanks guys, just bored. Left town last Wednesday was supposed to be home last Friday and now I just hope to get home this coming weekend! If I would have known last week..... I am only about 25 minutes from the NJ Service Center and the 20D needs some focus calibration. With my CPS membership I could have picked it up tomorrow or Tuesday according to them. Could have come home with a nicely calibrated camera.

Got to mix it up buzz grin.gif

That's too bad, Dan. Right place with the wrong gear. frown.gif

Are you sure it's the 20D that needs recalibration? Likely you are sure, but I just thought I'd interject that it's more often the lens that needs recalibration than the body.

Now that I've got a second body, I'm seriously thinking about sending in the 20D for a good servicing and checkup. I've shot over 60,000 frames on it, and there are two stubborn dust specks on the sensor that I don't have the guts to get off of there. Wouldn't hurt to send in the 100-400 for a good cleaning and calibration, too, though it's still performing as it did from the start, but I don't have a backup for THAT one. Yet. grin.gif

Yeah its the camera, I can replicate the issue on four different lenses. You should give the Copperhill method a shot, I have done it at least 5 times to the 20D and at least 7 or 8 on the DS when I had that. It really is not that difficult.

When I talked to the CPS guys last week they said sensor cleaning they could do while you wait, but focus calibration takes a few days. I think when mine goes in I will send in the 70-200/2.8 non IS with it to calibrate them together. I have the 30D and 70-200 IS to back me up so it should not be to painful to lose the 20D for a week smirk.gif

Dan, sounds like you've got a good plan there for the servicing.

I do use the Copperhill method, but these two specks are embedded. I'm told by a couple other pro shooters that the lens pens will take them off, being careful to make sure you buy a lens pen specifically for sensor cleaning because grit from other uses can scratch the sensor cover. But I don't have the guts to do that. Anyway, I know where the two specks appear on any image, and it's the work of just a few mouse clicks to get rid of them on an image.

Well, I finally worked up the courage to try the lens pen on the sensor. Embedded dust specks are gone, and sensor is in great shape. Whew! I bought the smaller Hakuba pen for this, since it's narrower and easier to control in the tight space inside the camera than my standard, larger, Simo brand pen. Well, good to know that works. grin.gif

Mike, I think it is in the $50 range and your camera will be gone for around a week. frown.gif Let me know if you want to give it a go and we can meet and I'll show you how to do it, on my camera if you wish grin.gif

It really is an easy procedure, put it is a bit nerve racking unless you've tried it before. I haven't used the lens pen on mine yet but Steve had success so the next time I get a stubborn spot that the Copperhill method won't get rid of, I will give it a shot.

Buzz, I do really encourage doing it yourself. Unless you never change lenses, dust can get in every time you change them. Well, I know you know that. The Copperhill method is not difficult at all and works very well. You'll really like the convenience of being able to do it yourself instead of sending it in.

Dbl,

Nice boat shots. I spent some time (training) in Kenebunkport a couple years ago and have fine memories. How much are they getting for a # of Lobster there now? The schooners remind my of the HMS Sophie...if you know what that is.? Tried out the 100-400L a little more seriously this weekend (Cardinals, woodpeckers, ect.). Also, a bird ID will be neccessary. I will post when I look at them in PS. It is tough to handhold for any length of time at 400mm. The Bogen "bracket" I got has a ball head but no monopod pole like it showed in the on-line photo...also, the wording made it sound like it was a complete monopod system...oh well, I still wait for a backordered pod. What gloves do you guys use? I found the best method was barehanded, but of course, you are limited to about 10-15 minutes of ready-time-ergonomics before the fingers fall off. Also, finally got the mystery bird into the perfect position and encountered a no-fire situation (card was full). Next time I will have another card ready or make sure the card is formatted.

I wear light stretchy acrylic cloth gloves, the kind you buy for $.99 at the dollar store, under heavier gloves or mittens. I never have to take off my left mitten while actually shooting the 100-400, even in cold weather, because it's easy to run the push-pull zoom with mitts on, and my camera control hand is my right hand. I keep my light glove on that hand no matter what, and a couple dry chemical handwarmers in my right-hand coat pocket.

I have been told by others that the schooners are the Mercantile, the Grace Bailey and the Mistress.

I use Under Armor cold weather thin gloves, they make good liners. As Steve said I leave the left gloved, and the other with the thin glove. I have tried the thin fleece gloves and they work also. Chemical warmers in the glove or pocket to keep hands and batteries warm.

Dan, I may have to take you up on that offer! A few of us are trying to organize a trip to Red Wing on down to Alma this Saturday (cold), would you have interest? so far it's me, Guy and Coulter and Rene are 50/50.

Blaze after you said that I went back and looked, you're right, that would be a challenging puzzle. I use a processor that makes photos into puzzles I may have to order one and see how tough it is to put back together.