• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Decks for Dummies

Scoot

Unlike most of the fellas who frequent this forum, I'm completely inept with building, fixing, and the making of anything. Despite this, I'm thinking about building my deck this coming spring. I'll spend some time at the local places in town looking for designs and ideas as well as pricing out materials, etc. Besides this, can anyone point me to a good resource of info on the topic? Relevant online info or a "Decks for Dummies" type book would be great. I know there's tons of books out there, there's even an actual "Decks for Dummies" book-- so I know that much. Which one would provide a relative rookie with a lot of good, basic info?

Thanks much!

I'm sure there is a decks for dummies, I've seen just about every other topic inder the sun now. Check at a home depot or Lowes.

You might get more info by putting this under the Home Improvement forum right above this one. They have more info on construction and those ideas.

Do a DIY for decks on the net. Home Depot holds deck building classes if one is in your area. You can always seek help with your framing and then save money actually doing the decking. Convince your wife or better half you need the proper tools and you will make a decent deck in no time. It's not that hard for the do it yourself er. Good luck

Scoot- If you are still looking for books, take a look at the Black & Decker deck building book. My wife was talking to a contractor one day and he said he built his first deck from the book. Step by step and never had a problem with it.

I'll be putting up a deck as well for the first time, however I have a few people in the family that have experience putting up decks......I like that smile.gif

I'd also say the black and decker books are good, I looked at a lot of them, and B&D had the most uncluttered pictures and clearest descriptions. A few years ago I built a 24'x15' deck on a sideways grade straddling a retaining wall, with two stairways, one is a 12 foot stairway with a landing in the middle. No joke, never built one before that, I also liked the Advanced Deck building book, also by Balck and Decker.