• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

trapping/fox hunting camping trip *pics*

I headed to the south side of the island I live on to do an overnight camping trip and some fox hunting and trapping. It was a 45 mile trip by snowmachine to get to the cabin. It is a nice cabin to stay in, has a wood stove, and there is lots of driftwood near the cabin that washes up on the beach from the ocean. Here are a few pics

IMG_0525.jpg

IMG_0522.jpg

IMG_0523.jpg

Here we are collecting some driftwood for firewood.

IMG_0529.jpg

Was a good day yesterday we spent the day snowmobiling through sand dunes hunting fox. They were pretty spooky and we only managed to shoot 3 yesterday.

IMG_0542.jpg

Here are our machines outside the cabin.

IMG_0524.jpg

My snowmobile rigged up to carry two firearms

IMG_0530.jpg

After shooting our fox yesterday we were about a mile away from the cabin and ran across a few reindeer. My buddy has been waiting to shoot a nice steer reindeer with a good hide, and the herd had one in it.

IMG_0536.jpg

IMG_0540.jpg

Here is one red that we trapped today

IMG_0546.jpg

We had 2 feet of solid powder and it was easy to get stuck pulling the sled. The wind picked up on the way home today, and we drove 30 miles in blowing snow. Visibility was under 10 most of the time. We had to ride EXTREMELY close together so we did not loose eachother on the way home. It made for lots of accidents. Everytime someone got stuck they got rearended by the person behind them smile.gif Good thing we were only going about 10mph.

Quote:

I headed to the south side of the island I live on to do an overnight camping trip and some fox hunting and trapping. It was a 45 mile trip by snowmachine to get to the cabin. It is a nice cabin to stay in, has a wood stove, and there is lots of driftwood near the cabin that washes up on the beach from the ocean. Here are a few pics

Here we are collecting some driftwood for firewood.

Was a good day yesterday we spent the day snowmobiling through sand dunes hunting fox. They were pretty spooky and we only managed to shoot 3 yesterday.

Here are our machines outside the cabin.

My snowmobile rigged up to carry two firearms

After shooting our fox yesterday we were about a mile away from the cabin and ran across a few reindeer. My buddy has been waiting to shoot a nice steer reindeer with a good hide, and the herd had one in it.

Here is one red that we trapped today

We had 2 feet of solid powder and it was easy to get stuck pulling the sled. The wind picked up on the way home today, and we drove 30 miles in blowing snow. Visibility was under 10 most of the time. We had to ride EXTREMELY close together so we did not loose eachother on the way home. It made for lots of accidents. Everytime someone got stuck they got rearended by the person behind them
smile.gif
Good thing we were only going about 10mph.

Wow firsherman, how cool is that. Did you see any artic fox?

You just spend one night? Get pictures, real cool.

Only saw one arctic. It was this morning when it was twilite. I went outside to start loading my sled and looked at the reindeer gutpile I saw him. I grabbed my .17 real quick took a shot but missed. It is not real accurate when the wind is blowing 40mph.

Yep it was just for one night. We wanted to go friday night but snow was blowing too bad.

Next trip down we will get more traps set. We just did not have time to make alot of sets, and the weather was terrible. I hope I don't have to drive through one of those white outs for a while again.

Quote:

And steers are the BEST meat.

In cattle terminology a 'steer' is a castrated bull, are you saying this was a castrated caribou??! If yes, whos catching them and castrating them?? From a distance, how can you tell its a 'steer' caribou vrs a bull caribou?

It is a reindeer not a caribou. The reindeer are owned by the local native corporation. It is a source of income as they butcher and sell many of them every year.

They castrate some bulls so they can butcher and sell them in the early winter. The bulls are still rutty into Beginning of January, and they do not have the same amount of fat as a cow or steer.