• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Keyless entry-01 grand Am

Huskie

Question

Is there a way to determine if my grand am that I bought used, has a factory installed keyless entry? Could I tell by the vin number? The owner of the small car lot, not a dealership, that I purchased it at said it did and even supposedly checked with a dealer and sent me a key that could be programmed. My daughter who drives the car called a dealer in Duluth and they said that model didn't have the factory installed keyless entry and therefore they could not program the key???? Help!!!!!

11 answers to this question

Any dealer would be able to tell by running the VIN # through the system. Its odd that an '01 would not have it since it seems to be so common and almost standard now days.

Did they send you a key or a F.O.B (the thingy with the lock/unlock buttons).

If it does have the keyless entry option you may still have to make a trip to the dealer. I'm not sure what GM requires but some manufacturers require the original F.O.B. to add new F.O.B's to the system. A factory scan tool may be required to program a a new F.O.B. if the old one is missing!

Yes I do have the FOB, she just called the dealer on her phone, not sure who she talked to. I'm sure it must have been a misunderstanding. I thought too you could run the vin number, it has to have the keyless option. I have the vin number, maybe I'll run over to the local Pontiac dealer and see what they say. thanks.

I read through the programming info last night. If the vehicle does have the option you will have to bring it to the dealer to have the system "learn" The new FOB. It requires the use of a "dealer" (some independants may have it) scan tool.

Sorry, I have to ask. Does this car have power locks? It sounds dumb but you would be surprised how many vehicles we get to either check cruise inop or a/c inop and they don't have those options!! You may also be surprised at how much a complete a/c system cost!! grin.gif

Typically it will cost you .5- 1.0 labor hours if a scan tool has to be hooked up. Our(Ford) systems are entered by a set number of on/off cycles with the key to access programming mode,and then just pushing a button on any fob to be learned, I do these for free.

Quote:

Typically it will cost you .5- 1.0 labor hours if a scan tool has to be hooked up. Our(Ford) systems are entered by a set number of on/off cycles with the key to access programming mode,and then just pushing a button on any fob to be learned, I do these for free.

Hey Cat. Don, can you reset a Pontiac by any chance, even though you are a Ford guy, or do we have to go to a GM dealership. How was fishing by Isle Royale this summer, used to go out there a couple of times a year, have not done that for about 6 years now.

I bought many keyless FOBs (Ford, GM, Dodge) on hsolist and always been able to get it programmed with the instructions they gave me with the transmitter, but GM has several type of them, and they all look alike. I am in the process of doing same with my 2000 Chevy truck, and me too I don't know if it has keyless entry, when I get instructions I'll be glad to "pass them " along....

Huskie-

Back when I use to own a Grand Am (2 actually), there was a forum I use to frequent that was strictly for the Grand Am. (I believe they are also the largest GA forum) There were/are plenty of "enthusiasts" for the Grand Am that cruise it.

if you do a yahoo search for Grand Am Owners Club, they will be the top search result. You should be able to find your answer there.