• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Wanted: Furs

Does anyone know where I could get a good deal on some furs for the Firearm Safety Class I teach? We have little money to work with, but I would like to get some for the kids to touch. We certainly dont need prime furs. I would really like a deer, bear, coyote, fox, etc. The main ones in Minnesota. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Are you teaching the course through the DNR? If so I would think they can supply you with them if you ask. I am sure you will have to give them back after your class so others can use them as well.

I think you have a great idea. You should contact your DNR contact person for the courses and plant the information in their head. If they can't supply you with the fur then you should work with them to get the furs.

Great idea.

As far as inexpensive place to get them, hard to say. My guess is people would donate some fur if they knew what it was for. You may also contact the MTA and see if they have fur that they use for any trapping classes.

check with themajor retailers, or also i dont know where your from but southern mn cumberlands, not sure anywhere else in the state. also if you just check out the internet, im POSITVIE youcould find what you need for cheep or possibly free.

I am just starting my search. I will also use them for an outdoor youth day for Pheasants Forever, and to loan them to 2 schools for use in their outdoor programs. I have talked to the MN Trappers Assoc numerous times and they always say they will try and do something and I never hear from them again. Oh well, I am sure they are busy too.

Codydog

Im sure you know, most of the problem is everyone handles raw fur, or fur that is ready to be tanned. Most people that have a hide tanned, do it for a specific reason, either it has some sentimental value, (1st coyote or fox etc) or it is an exceptional species in their minds and probably wont want to part with it.

Few guys have finished hides just hanging around, waiting to give away, no matter how good the cause is and yours certainly is a good one.

I do have 2 beautiful raccoon hides tanned, and would consider parting with one, if you wanted to give me a place to ship it to.

My fox, and coyote are at the fishing shack, and I dont really want to part with them anyway. sorry.

Youre welcome to 1 of the coon hides, and both of them are very nice.

reddog,

that is most generous of you and I do have a little money to work with. I know most people only have sentimental or exceptional ones, but you never know. You can ship it to me at 5910 Rice Creek Parkway, Suite 100, Shoreview MN 55126 attn: Dino and be sure to enclose your return addy. I havent had a chance to stop at GM yet, but will do so. The deer hide is gonna be a hard one to find I bet, but that is the one I really want cuz so many kids hunt deer.

Oh, I think I want tanned, but being a novice at the fur game, I dont really know the difference. I would assumed that dried are a little stiff? tanned are all soft and supple? Then again, I am not gonna cuddle with it, it is for educational purposes so it really wouldnt matter.

We usually have a mock blood trail as part of our Youth Day and our Firearm Safety Classes. We have borrowed a bear skin from a guy who has been most generous, but I hate beating up his stuff. Thanks for all the ideas, guys. I will keep looking. I have emails out but havent heard back yet from folks.

I have an elk hide that you can have if you would like it is at the tannery and is ready to be picked up if you want it and are will to pay for the tanning it is yours e-mail me and we can talk. I also have a deer hide that hasn't been tanned yet.Dan