• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Please help, or at least read the story.

jpaulson

A friend of mine who I always fish with had an extremely bad experience on Saturday jan 6th. Him and his father headed out to North Center for a day of fishing. With some advice from the local bait store they decided to try the north end. They ended up hitting the open water with their atv . The open water has been that way all year and was not marked or told to them by the local bait store. Anyways my friend got out of the water and pulled his dad out. They got a ride from some other fisherman(thanks) to their truck to warm up and figure out what to do. They tried to get a hold of some towing companies that could help remove their atv. In the process of making their calls a local spotted their portable floating in the water and called the police (thanks). Other fisherman (thanks again) were able to get the fish house and drag it to shore. The fish house was left for the police at one of the landings. A cop showed up and got my friends info off the fish house and made calls to their family about the situation. The cop also looked inside in the process and saw all the equipment they had. The cop decided to run to the other access and see if the truck they were driving was still there. It was not because they were at the local bait store still trying to get someone to come out and help remove their atv and house from the water. When the cop came back to the fish house the cover was off and all their rods, some equipment and their 2 vex’s were stolen. . In the meantime more cops started showing up and DNR officers as well. They came back and saw the cops and the cops told them they were looking for “bodies”. My friend’s dad said “we are the bodies.” They found a towing company to look for the ATV but they were unable to find it. The company believed that someone also removed the ATV from the water and stole it. They decided to try one more company that would send a diver down and would guarantee if it was there they would get it. I know I am missing a lot of the story but I wanted to try to make it as short as possible. I was hoping to get some help from everyone. If anyone knows anything about the stolen items any info provided would be great. I doubt this will happen though. The police are in the process of filing a theft report and I am sure nothing will ever happen with it. Otherwise if anyone has any extra equipment they would be willing to donate or sell for a good price it would be appreciated. Remember everyone ice is never safe and always know where you’re going or test the ice regularly. Good first post huh? Oh and I am glad I was not able to go that day. Thanks everyone!

Welcome to this wonderful site jpaulson.

I am happy to hear that your friend and his dad are okay.

For some reason I am not at all surprised to hear of the shortcomings with the theft. Maybe numb to it, why is it someone feels that they can capitalize on someone else's misfortunes? I really hope that these people get caught, pushed down and kicked in the jewels. (that still would not be enough punishment)

I have a few of rods I can donate(no money), I hate to say it but they are not top of the line. I have been in a similar situation and I know what it feels like to have someone walk off with your equipment. Nothing more disheartening. Let me know if you are interested in the poles.

That is unbelievable. I guarantee that whoever stole their stuff was out on that lake or in a home watching the whole thing happen. Some people are really rotten. Every dog has their day though. At least they were able to escape the water without injury or worse. You can always replace a Vexilar, but you cannot replace a dad or a son.

Justin

I should have put my contact information on here. Sorry.

You can email me at [email protected] So we can get together and hand off this equipment. I am going to reline the reels with 4 lb. ice line I should be able to get that done tonight (I think my honey do list can wait). The line that is on them now is a year old. I will rig them up with a couple of my favorite ice jigs that I have found to work and ice buster bobbers. I know it is not much but it is a start.

Thanks again Mike. I will shoot you an email.

Thanks for the reply Justin. It is interesting to hear him talk about the grip he had of the ice when he was getting out. He said he has never gripped so hard. When he was getting out he said it was effortless like someone was pulling him and when he pulled his dad out it was the same way. He pulled him at least 30 feet. Could be adrenaline but I have my own beliefs.

There is just no excuse when sportsmen treat each other like that. You wouldn't want to get caught pulling a stunt like that in Wyoming.

Shoot me an e-mail with your address

[email protected]

How close are you to the Sportman's Warehouse in Coon Rapids? I will send something your buddy and his dad can use there.

Quote:

There is just no excuse when sportsmen treat each other like that.

I don't think you could classify these low-lifes as "Sportsmen". Sounds like pretty worthless people if you as me. I would running around trying to find out if the people were OK or maybe guard the stuff that's sitting there. I could care less about a few hundred in gear if there are poeple in danger. I don't have anything to donate as I just got into ice fishing myself. This is a great site though and the people are great so you will find help. As for it being a scam, it doesn't sound like it to me. If it would be that would be very, very low, but it sounds legit. I hope your buddy and his Dad are doing well, that's all that really matters.

Glad to hear that everyone is safe. Don't know that I would call the ones that did this to you "Sportsman". Unfortunately there are people like that around, luckily there are more people that would rather help someone. Wish I had some extra equipment, but all i have is some old Jig poles. If they would be of use let me know. wink.gif

Thanks for all the offers and replies. I will catch up with the emails tonight. As far as the sportsman's warehouse question I live close but my friend lives within a couple miles of it. As far as the "scam" comment I can understand that those do happen but not here. I am an honest man with a TRUE story. Thanks again everyone.

As far as the 4 wheeler. It was still partially floating when they left. The company that was looking for it said that it should float for a little while and even if it sunk you would be able to see air bubbles for a day or 2 afterwards. Since there was none they suggested it could have been stolen.They decided to get another company with a diver for a guaranteed answer and not just a guy in a boat.

PierBridge,

I had to read it 2 times and that is what I am getting... I mean if a guy can afford a 4-wheeler, 2 vexi's, 8 rods-reels, and a portable and now they are gone and he can go out and get a new rod? HMMMMM I am not one to rain on someones parade but if You can show me an article about this happending I will send the guy plenty of stuff.

A story like this is a fishing community would more than likely get published...

If you want proof I would just call local bait shops in the area of Norht Center where this happened. The story says they were at the bait shop after it happened so I am sure that the shop would remember. Or even call the local police in that area as they would have it on record.

If this were to be a scam it would have to be the lowest of the low to pull it off. And it is really easily checked up on to confirm facts so it would be tough to pull off.

But before you donate any large items you may just want to confirm this is legit just to make sure.

Doesnt it suck that we live in a society that things like this have to be proved before we can fully accept it and start helping.

UPDATE

I just talked to my friend and he said everything lost will be covered under insurance. They are on the 3rd towing company with no luck and all have told him it should float for 4 or 5 days. They may send a diver down or may not. Seems to be stolen. I appreciate all offers and comments but it seems the offers will not be needed. I will keep everyone updated on the situation. He also told me that he heard the story was on the news yesterday but I can not confirm that. It is great to see all the good people there are that are willing to help a one in need. Thanks again.

I just called the North Center Lake Police dept and they confirmed that a 4 wheeler went down on the 6th but when I asked about if it was confirmed stolen and they told me it was out and no police reports for any stolen or still missing proptery is on file.

Quote:

Doesnt it suck that we live in a society that things like this have to be proved before we can fully accept it and start helping.

I just thought it was a very strange scenario that didn't make much sense to me.

And if someone did actually steal this 4-wheeler I want to know how they did it....I have heard of 4-wheelers floating although my friends didn't frown.gif.

Sorry for being a wee bit skeptical. wink.gif

I was skeptical as well, and even more sketpical now that someone has called the police to confirm but couldn't

I was just making a comment on society that we do need to check this stuff out these days. I don't send out money or anything else unless I know for sure it is going to the right person and that the cause is just. To many scams out there these days.

I talked to my friend again and he did not remember the name of the original officer but he did remember one his dad has been talking to. He said he is pretty sure the officer's name is Jeff Wessel.