• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Courthouse Thread 2007

tweedlap

Last Sunday, December 31st, the small bay had 10' to 15' of open water around it. The main body only had 2'-3' of open water.

Today, January 6th, the open water had frozen to at least 3". I walked on all of the areas that had open water last week.

With the coming colder weather I am sure we will be "ok".

--Bring your ice cleats--it is extremely slippery

Thursday I plan to go to the pond and drill some test holes.

Will report results on Thursday.

tweed

Ice Check---

The small bay end, of Courthouse, has between 5" and 6" of ice. Out in the main part I found 6" to 7".

Hopefully we will make another inch or so by the time opening morning comes around.

tweed

I talked to the head of West Metro Fisheries, today, and ask how the oxygen looked.

He said the oxygen level was good to 25'.

A side note: He estimated that 50%, of the trout stocked, are caught on the first day.

Looks like a chilly start to the opener but it should be fun.

See you there.

tweed

Quote:

Good luck on Courthouse tomorrow, folks. Never been there for an opener, hard water or open water...is it as much of a zoo as Cenaiko is on opening Day?

the first opener I ever went to I thought there was a tourney on the ice. I couldn't believe the crowd. I'm glad I don't have to fish there anymore...

I went out there this morning for the trout opener, but I didn't get there until about 8:00 am. I noticed that some people were already leaving when I showed up. By about 9:00 or 9:30 many, many more had left. Is the fishing that much better during pre-dawn, or did all of these people already limit out? Just wondering since I got skunked (I was spotting fish, but they weren't biting what I was offering: small teardrop jig with Gulp maggots).

Rookie,

Fish down 4' to 7' with 3 real wax worms. Jiggle it and let it set a few seconds and then move it up a foot or so and wiggle some more. Repeat the process then start over and wiggle it, stop and then drop it a foot or so and keep moving down. etc etc.

They will come and they shall bite.

tweed

Some folks that were out at Cenaiko on Sunday were also on Courthouse on Saturday, mentioned that they saw someone pull a 6-7 lb. rainbow out on Saturday. Anyone else there on Saturday see that fish?

Zenit,

I saw the brown and my guess is that the fish was 7# plus a little.

I, also, saw two browns in the 2-4# range taken. 1 Brookie about 18-20".

Been working since Sunday so I haven't made it back. Plan on giving it a go on Thursday. Anyone else coming down?

tweed

Was out on monday morn. we ended up w/ 6, 5 rainbows and 1 brown. i did get on about 21", not sure of the exact size but we measured it next to my 24" rod and was about 3" short. the brown i got had a really huge stomach, so when i cleaned it i had to examine and there was 21 waxies, 2 spikes, 5 minnows, and 5 pieces of corn, all in a little 11" brown!! fished the small bay in 10 fow. caught all the fish about 1/2 ft off bottom. saw a TON of fish on the flasher, but it seemed all the suspended fish just came and left about as fast. a #12 marmooshka w/ 2 waxies seemed to do the trick.