• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

propane tank mount???

TTfromBlaine

Question

Allright guys, my thinker is running out of juice here blush.gif looking for some good ideas how to secure a propane tank in a voyager sled, I use a sunflower on either a tall 11LB,er and a 20,LBer. Iwas thinking somthing like you see on a fork lift but not that heavy duty, or a fire extinguisher type like holder, and have been to F.F. Northern tool, so far nothing. what do you guys do??

ICE DOG 1-out

15 answers to this question

I have a tall 11 lb tank in an Otter Magnum sled. It sits in the back corner of the sled and I put 2 eye bolts through the back of the sled and 2 eye bolts through the side of the sled. I use bungee straps to hold the tank in place. I tied new knots in the ends of the straps to get them to just the right length. The back of the sled angles out so there was a little wobble in the tank at first, but I put a folded dish towel there to fill the void and no more wobble. The set-up works great, quick, easy, cheap, stable, easy to remove. I don't use a sunflower style header, I have a hose going to a Mr. Cooker.

If you go this route, pay attention to the size of your eye bolts. I went with small ones since I rarely remove the straps, but if you're removing them frequently you would want to go slightly larger ones for ease of use. Good luck.

Thanks P.J. I like that idea, if I'm just making small moves I just lay it down in the tub,but those bigger moves at higher rates of speed grin.gif or being loaded in/out of the truck I want it snugged down, I may modify that Idea to put the tank in a horizontal position due to the sunflower, any other Ideas out there?? smile.gif

I got a base stand for my 20 lber, it is plastic and just a little larger than the diameter of the tank at it's fattest part kind of like this /[______]\ anyway you know what I mean, really keeps the tank upright. I got it at a garage sale and haven't seen them since.

hey jigging matt, how do you strap in the crate in your voyager? do you use the eye-bolt deal like Perch Jerker? my thought is I use the 11LBr most of the time but on the longer trips the 20 comes along so I dont have to deal with refills in what ever town I'm in,so I'm looking to make some kind of mount that will handle both sized tanks during transportation mode. so far I'm leaning towards the eye-bolt set up but properly placed to strap in the 11lb but will also be used to strap in a milk crate for the 20lb... man I love this site grin.gifgrin.gif

Most of the time I just place it on the top when I walk out. Other that that I just put in in the four wheeler. Usually I just place it behind the seat on top of the cover and it stays in place when I'm pulling it by hand. When we are moving all day I just put it in the back of the wheeler with a bunjee cord.

I was thinking, look at a camper supply store. My pickup camper LP storage has a metal strap that fits around the LP tank and latches together, to keep it tight. Sounds like the perfect holddown strap that would mount inside a sled. Could even mount this strap to the floor if you wanted to lay the LP tank down horizontally.

I have an 11 pounder but it is the short one. I use a milk crate and strap it down with a nylon strap and clip. I got it from a Mountaineering Store in Minneapolis. Thrifty Outfitters. I am sure you can get it from other places as well.

Thanks Dave, thats pretty much what I had in mind at the start but I gotta say I'm getting some good ideas here laugh.gif but I've got an uncle that works at a big place in Rodgers I'll check with him. dont know why I didnt think of him first blush.gif but maybe the cost will put me back to these Ideas I got here grin.gif...Thanks again everybody for the Ideas.

ICE DOG 1 out

Quote:

Could even mount this strap to the floor if you wanted to lay the LP tank down horizontally.

Please DO NOT transport, store, or use your propane tank on its side. On the label you will note directions that recommend that the tank be kept in a secured upright position while transporting!

Propane tanks should not be transported in a horizontal configuration. If the relief valve were to operate it would discharge liquid propane rather than vapor. Much more dangerous!

I've filled 100 lbers before and the guy filling them up said they aren't allowed to fill them if they are being transported on their sides, although I'm sure people let it slide.