• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Marcum Lx-5 Vs. Vexilar Fl-20??

Jimmy from Cottage Grove

Question

Hey guys I am going to purchase a new flasher before the weekend. I was wondering for some input on the pros and cons of the two. I have done alot of research about the lx-5 and was pretty set on it. Untill vexilar came out with the fl-20. I don't know too much about the fl-20! Anyone have any comments about the two? Thanks Jimmy

10 answers to this question

I ran a LX-5 all last season and all I can say is this Jimmy. It's the most technically advanced, feature laden, precision mastered, quality crafted piece of machinery I have ever placed on the ice.

The FL-20 is appealing to the eye it's just the internals did not get addressed and until that happens MarCum will have the upper hand.

The MarCum LX-5 is an ice fishermans dream come true and at $20 less than the competitors the zoom feature and SFL are incredible. Quality, tested, proven and US built there's none better for the dollar than the LX-5...

Whichever unit you decide good luck to you and if you have any questions about the LX-5 at all fire away.

I haven't used the LX-5 nearly as much as CNY TIM but I would agree. The LX-5 is a far superior locator. The only thing I would change on the LX-5 is the face of it to reflect what Vexilar did with the FL-20. That flat face, to eliminate the possibility of snow gathering on the display.

But the target seperation is incredible on the LX-5 versus the FL-20. And the FL-20 is good but the Marcum is sharper. Like I commented in another post, in the zoom functionality of the Marcum, I could tell whether or not my spoon had a minnow head on it or not. I couldn't figure it out at first but looking at the display why there was something hanging below my spoon. Then I missed a bite and the something hanging below my spoon disappeared. It was my minnow head. I was sold right there. So cool.

Like TIM said, vexilar fixed the comestics of their units but didn't really change anything internally with regards to functionality.

Go get the MarCum. You won't be dissapointed.

Jimmy-

If you were comparing an LX-5 to other flashers on the market and decided to go with the LX-5, I'd stick with that decision. The introduction of the FL-20 really did not change much in Vex's lineup, other than they had a new flasher to market that was cosmetically different. I realize that the FL-20 has some other small tweaks to it that make it a little better unit than an FL-18 but not enough changed to really compete with an LX-5.

The fact than an LX-5 has an adjustable zoom window is a major, major selling point for me. The fine line display and the crispness (not blobbiness) of the targets on the screen are another key feature. If Vex added these features to one of their flashers, this could really be a complicated discussion.

Whatever choice you make, have fun with your new toy!

I was going back and forth between these two units. Well, I just purchased the LX-5 at Gander in Duluth yesterday. I made my decision based primarily on the opinions of FM members. I'm looking forward to using my new toy. The only bad thing is that I have to take vacation to use it. The weekends are all tied up with my daughters' hockey games. :-) Thanks for all the great insight, fellow FM's.

That is the choice that I would make. I have used an LX-5 a little bit and really think it is a great unit. The adjustable zoom is great and the colors seem to be much crisper. If I were looking to replace my FL-18 that is what I would get.

huntnfish - Man I wish more guys from North Dakota were as open minded as you. I visited one of the forums there and it's a Vexilar jamboree and if you bring up MarCum well your not welcomed there. When I performed the FL-18/LX-3 comparison tests years ago I kept an open mind and let the chips fall where they may. I think some people stay with something because it's all they know or what they are exposed too. Just wanted to thank you sir for your comments...

Tim,

My wife has an FL-8, if I get a Marcum will my Marcum make it difficult for her to read the FL-8 when we fish close to each other? Please let me know if you have had any experience with this. I hate to buy a flasher that will make it hard to read hers.

Thanks,

Jim

Honestly Diago I thought the interfernce rejection was better on my FL-8 than my FL-18 don't know why it was but it definitely performed much better than the FL-18's... We have fished the FL-18, the LX-3 and the Fl-8 in close proximity of each other and the only unit that had an issue was the FL-18. That's my experience. However if your really worried about it the dual beam LX-5 is your answer you can switch to the NBT (Narrow Beam Transducer) which is an 8 deg. instead of the 20 to minimise the overlap of signal that way you can have the best of both worlds snuggling up to the misses and catching fish. A warning to you sir I give you guys one trip with thtt scenario before your buying her an LX-5 too, fair warning... LOL

I used my new marcum on mille lacs over the weekend. It worked awesome. I love how the screen doesn't flicker non stop giving you blurred vision sometimes like my fl-8. The zoom feature is incredible. Also I used mine next to a buddies lx-3. A few clicks on the ir, and they wored side by side perfect. I will have to agree marcum is going to be the future of the ice fishing industry!!