• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

H20c / Navionics-Lakemaster Question

rooney5150

I currently own a Garmin Etrex Legend C, but have recently been thinking about "upgrading" to an H20C. I've been to Garmin's HSOforum as well as Lakemaster's and have found that I can purchase lake map software for my current GPS. However, I like the fact that the entire selection of maps is contained within a single card and that I wouldn't have to download the various data into my GPS each time I want to try a different lake. One significant drawback to the Legend C. frown.gif

My questions are as follows:

1) The lakemaster chip claims that it features "highly detailed road map, thousands of points of interest, state and wildlife management areas, parks, and hunting zones." Does the H20c do turn-by-turn navigation and how detailed are these "included maps"? Is it only major highways/interstates? Or are there rural/residential roads on it as well?

2) Is the H20c PLUS worth the extra money? From what I can tell it comes with topology maps, a 32MB card and a card reader for an extra $100.

Any other words of advice, warnings, comments, concerns, etc?

Thanks!

I hear ya rooney. I've had a Garmin handheld for almost 10 years (that did not have this mapping technology) so I decided to get with the new technology.

I recently bought the H2Oc and the new LakeMaster chip. I am extremely happy with this combo....it's simply incredible!

I took a trip to the Twin Cities over the holiday weekend and I brought the GPS and mounted it on the console in the truck. I could not believe the details in the ALL roadways, state parks, etc.. is all detailed on the chip. I met up with a friend and as he gave me a general direction of where his house was, I found his street and easily navigated to his home.

All roads and streets were clearly labeled, interstate on/off ramps, just about everything. I couldn't get lost if I wanted to. grin.gif

As far as the H2Oc plus goes, I did not find it necessary. It has more map technology or something (that didn't really appeal to me)...I figured with the MN LM chip, the chip had more than I expected already so no need to spend the extra cash.

No, the H2Oc doesnt do turn by turn navigation unless you create a route and at every turn enter a waypoint. Then you can set the alarm for when you are a 1/4 mile or however far away from the waypoints. But you cant just type in an address and say "Bring me here" like the ones that are made for navigation like that.

Rooney

I have the Lakemaster series on my Garmin V and was unsatisfied with the black and white picture. It's hard to see the depth scales and trails. It as also a pain to have to load in a new area every time I was heading out.

I just pruchased the H2Oc with the Lakemaster Minnesota chip and have found it to be much easier to use. I still use the Garmin for travel. I loaded in a better map package that has more back roads so it gives you more options when traveling but it's the H2Oc for fishing.

The one thing I am sure of is any GPS is better than no GPS

"Your bobbers down!"

My amateur answers:

I didn't buy the plus package. The Topo would be nice to have all the road mapping capabilities. However, you can get these for $100 later on, so it doesn't save you any money to buy it with the GPS. You can add it later if you really feel you need it. And, I've actually seen them in Cabelas Bargain Cave for less than that.

That being said, there are differences between the Lakemaster and Navionics chips. I have both (Lakemaster 06 and current Navionics, not the 07). The Lakemaster is great because it has all the roads in MN, so you might not need the Topo if you primarily use it in state. The Navionics chip gives you more lakes in 5 states than the Lakemaster, but no roads at all. There's been tons of discussion regarding which chip is better and more accurate, but I haven't used either enough to say one is more accurate than the other. I will say I use the Lakemaster when driving and at a lake that's on that chip, and the Navionics for lakes that aren't on the Lakemaster, mostly to have the roads on there.

I would hit up both Lakemaster and Navionics HSOforum and find the chip that has the lakes you fish the most. Hope this all helps.

Guys, thanks for all of the replies. So, I think I'm sold on the H2Oc for sure and will skip the "Plus" pack.

Regarding the maps, it sounds like the Navionics may be more up my alley. I fish a few lakes that aren't on the lakemaster chip and have my current GPS (the Legend C with City Select North America v7) for mapping to/from the lakes if necessary.

Does anyone know when the new Navionics chip is due to be released? As I understand it, there's a $50 credit on a trade in of the '06 chip, but it doesn't make sense to buy the '06 now for $150 and then turn around and trade that in on the '07 right away. confused.gif

Thanks to all of you again for all of your comments and info.

rooney, I have the expedition c plus with the new lakemaster chip and love the whole package. With the expedition you get an electonic compass. You will need the plus (mapcreate) in addition to the lakemaster if you want a high detailed map with POI for travel outside of minnesota. You will have fun with whatever you end up. with!