• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Truck stuck in park

R_B

Question

My 98 F150 is stuck in park. I drove it to a buddy's place, left it running, and when I got back in it wouldn't come out of park. We pulled on the linkage from underneath and still couldn't get it to break loose. Anybody have any ideas on how to fix this?

11 answers to this question

"We pulled on the linkage from underneath and still couldn't get it to break loose"

I'm going to assume that you pulled it off the tranny? If that's the case it can't be the break switch, cause those are in the steering column holding the shift lever. If you push the break down slightly and listen by the column you'll hear it move..

In the underdash fuse block check fuse 6 and fuse 13. If these are o.k. then go to the brake switch. The light green with red should have power all the time. The light green wire should have power with the brake pedal depressed. If it doesn't then the brake switch is the culprit. if it does then you'll have to find the shift lock actuator in the steering column. the yellow wire should be powered when the key is in the run position. then lt green wire should have power with the brake pedal depressed. the black wire is ground. If these check out then the shift lock might be the answer. Hope that helps

The Ford shift interlock operates much the same as a GM. You can circumvent the system with a simple procedure to get it home or to a shop (and possibly) avoid a tow. Set the parking brake. Insert the key and turn it to the first position toward start. Not in the "on" position where it powers accessories but the dead position before everything has power. Now try shifting into neutral (if it will move) If (or when) it shifts into neutral, go ahead and start the vehicle. Once it is running you should be able to shift it into reverse or drive normally.

The shift lock should work only when power is applied to it by turning the key to the on (run) position. Unlocking the shifter with the key but not turning it to the powered position on the ignition switch will allow movement of the shifter to neutral. Once you are out of park and start the vehicle the interlock is not powered until you are back in park. If this procedure doesnt work, its possible that the solenoid or interlock cable is damaged or binding.

Gotta love fords. I know some of them will not let you shift out of park when the brake/tail light(one or the other) fuse blows. If replacing the fuse doesnt do it, I know the floor shift models have an over-ride near the front of the shifter on the floor.. A tiny hole about the size of a screwdriver you can press something into and release the shifter.

Quote:

Unlocking the shifter with the key but not turning it to the powered position on the ignition switch will allow movement of the shifter to neutral. Once you are out of park and start the vehicle the interlock is not powered until you are back in park.

I found this out when I had the radio playing in my 04 Silverado (parked and waiting for someone) and the kids were sitting in it with me. One of them moved the shift lever into neutral (I always have the parking brake on so we didn't go anywhere) and I was sure suprised. I don't ever leave my kids in the truck if the keys are in it even if we're in the yard working etc. and listening to the radio, but I'm sure someone somewhere has had an issue blush.gif. Something to watch out for at any rate FWIW.