• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Is there an ice melt product safe for wood deck?

Powerstroke

Our house has a wraparound deck and both of our entrances lead to the deck. Personally I don't feel the need to continuously clean off the deck, but my wife does daycare form home and her clients have to walk the steps and deck at least twice a day. FOr liability reasons we need to keep it very clean.

Is there a product that is safe to use on wood decks to melt ice? If not what can I use besides sand for traction?

My dad used to buy chicken grit from Fleet Farm and spread that out on his front step and sidewalk. The salt always killed grass along the edge, so he switched to the grit. It works to keep some in the car if you need to get out of a slippery situation.

Someone at work mentioned a corn based product. I of course checked the Home Depot and such and of course that wasn't helpful.

I do work in Public Works so I have a handle on all the ice melting products out there and some do say they are safe for wood and masonry, but I don't want to be replacing deck materials this spring on a deck that has more square footage than my garage.

I have been using "End Ice" sold by Menards on my ceder decks for years. The large deck is 20x20 and the wood is still as solid as it was 12 years ago. I do stain every year because of wear so I can't say how much of the stain is loss due to the end ice. But we keep the entire deck ice and snow clear all winter long.