• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Stupid question

broman

Years ago I bought some spring bobbers. They are the kind that are made of a wire with a bend on the end and a small red plastic bead. On the other end the wire has been bent around and has a small coiled wire around it holding it in place. You can slide the coiled wire back so that you can put the loop around something.

My question is, how do I attach these to the pole? What do I do with the coiled eye end? Do I put the wire through the eye of the rod? I'm stumped. Pictures welcome.

I said it was a stupid question.

I have to pleasantly disagree with knoppers.

I have found a spring bobber to be the most effective way to catch finicky fish.

Not only can a spring bobber clue you in to a light bite (whether the fish are biting "down" or "up"...see crappies grin.gif), but it can also help you to present the lure or bait more naturally.

I own several rods (both expensive and cheap) that will help me to feel or see the "strike" of a fish, but I have found no tool more useful than a spring bobber in helping me to fish most effectively.

Hey, sometimes I could care less (see regular bobbers). But for the times when I'm focused on catching something, I feel that spring bobbers are the ticket.

I'm not sure of the make of the spring bobber you are looking for, but I have one (still in the package smile.gif) made by Schooley's of Greenville,MI that looks kind of like what you describe.

From what I can see, you thread the "spring" part of the spring bobber either through the tip, or a the gap just above the tip (if there is one), and attach the terminal part by wrapping the lower end aroung the tip blank, and sliding the "spring holding mechanism grin.gif" down to get it to stay put.

See, that's why I've moved on to other spring bobbers. I think there are better options out there.

Welcome to FM broman . Remember, there are no dumb questions here. Just dumb answers...sometimes smile.gif.

I have the same spring bobbers an those are fun to use, The end with the coil of wire gose through the end eyelit of youre rod, slide the coil of the loop end an you can see that your rod is suppose to sit in the loop an the the coil slids back over the short end piece securring it to your rod an are able to slide the hole spring bobber up an down to increase or decrease tension. I like these better than most spring bobbers. What i end up doing is i just clip the stupid coil end cause once installed it just dosent seem right or something an you can shrink tub it to the end of your rod or glue it or eiser yet black ele. tape it cause the you still can slide it back an forth through the tape with a little effort. That was not a stupid question when I bought mine along time ago I dinked around for a good while to figure them out cause they come with no intructions. Tehy work great. Later boar

broman

Welcome to the Fishing Minnesota family. These spring bobbers are the ticket for very light biting fish. I do all my panfish fishing with a spring bobber and still use a UL rod. There are times that the panfish bite so light that your catch will at least double with a spring bobber. Boar pretty much answered your question on installing this type.

Good luck this winter and again, Welcome.

Thanks boar, that's the same thing that I came up with. I also thought "that just dosent seem right or something" too. I think I'm going to clip off the spring and tape it. I have three rods. One Frabill with the coiled spring on the end "popper". And another pole has the flat type of spring that you clip on with a small red rubber clip. I'm going to give each of them a shot and see which one I like the best.

I wasnt a big spring bobber fan until last year. My catch has increased drastically with a spring bobber. I wont fish panfish without one now. I dont care how good a rod you have a spring bobber will show you things you never knew before.

This will be my first year using spring bobbers. I've done very little ice fishing throughout the years, and I have never been very successfull, so I'm hoping the spring bobbers will increase my chances.