• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

crossbows

HutchBucks

I personally can use one with a disability permit and have found first hand there is a huge advantage over regular bows. I wouldn't be opposed to legalization but it should have its own season. Not the three and half months a bow gets.

I say if you want to use em you can during gun season. They're a waste of money anyway if you dont' have a disability. A bow shoots way better, more accurately and quieter. The point of archery hunting anyway is the added challenge. If you want to use a crossbow just hunt with a smoothbore slug gun, about the same range and accuracy.

They do have there place with the disabled archers for sure. I would never use one unless needed as my regular bow is a much better tool. They do shoot very well at short range but once the distance gets past 25 yards I will take my Matthews.

Should there be a season for crossbows? It would not make much difference to me if it was for everyone. I just dont understand why one would want to use it over the regular bows out there unless you need to.

If the crossbow is so "useless", then why not let the people who wants to use them use them? I have never used a crossbow before, but have recently taken a few shots with an Excaliber Exo-Max. At 350+ fps, the bolts disappeared into the target in split seconds. This crossbow is so accurate that I can "Robinhood" if I wanted to. As to it's effectiveness beyond 25 yards, I would have to assume, with the given accuracy at 20 yards, that it would be effective out beyond 50 yards.

As far as noise goes; yes, they are very loud. However, in the world of one shot kills, there is no way on earth a deer will out dodge a bolt coming off of that crossbow.

I've used one for about 5 years now. I got out of bowhunting due to not being able to pull back a regular bow anymore and I am glad they allow it for disabilities. I see the main advantage of crossbows being you can shoot sitting down and you have less movement setting up for a shot, plus you can hold back a crossbow forever. The crossbow has enabled me to spend more time in the woods deer hunting. It does not take anywhere near the practice as your regular bows to become proficient. Since I use a crossbow I don't know if I am a good person to respond here (ie: pot calling the kettle black) but I would like to see it changed to the way Wisconsin does it. I think if you are over 65 years or disabled you can use one. I know if I could pull back 50 pounds I'ld be using a compound bow. That being said, getting a deer with either bow is a challenge. I have only stuck 3 with my crossbow in 5 years.

My Dad is using one now due to the inability to shoot other bows. He is also NOT gun hunting anymore for similar reasons so the chance to hunt with the crossbow allows him to continue to hunt. I think they should be legal to use in any season. The idea is to be able to harvest animals, continue the traditions, and share the outdoors with family and friends. If people can use the crossbows to do so great. They are loud compared to the bows but a ton quieter than the rifle or pistols. Zero recoil and accurate within their range. Youth hunters could use them as well and be safe and accurate. Getting people into the field is important. If this is a tool that can do it safely for the hunter and result in a clean kill go for it. With todays inovations in coumpounds being legal(faster,quieter, greater let-off, fiber optic sights, scopes and many more) there should be no reason to not be able to use them.

The way i see it is there's really not a huge difference between compound and crossbow. Compunds have the ability to be very quiet and i have seen some get past 300 fps. With some of the new ones they migh get to 320 on average, that just means that your shot can be flatter and the average yarage to take a confidant shot will be more. With a crossbow they are definatly louder, shoot faster and can be very accurate, not saying there aren't any robin hood compounds out there, but a scope and an easy way to just rest it on a bar are definatly an advantage on why there very accurate. lastly if you don't cock the crossbow before you walk in the woods i would like to see anyone cock one with it on their shoulder. But if you really check them out the average crossbow shoots only 320 fps, and wheights about 5lbs on average. so really all your doin is giving up one thing for another.