• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Gas and oil questions

hovermn

I've been getting pretty conficting responses when asking dealers, parts guys, mechanics and others about the fuel I should be using in my sled. It's a 2003 Polaris 550 fan. I'm a little disapointed that Polaris gives a generic manual for all of their sleds with very few specifics. So, when asking people about fuel octane, everyone has a different opinion. Anyone care to share their own? The manual talks about some sleds having an octane switch to change the engine timing for the different levels. Mine does not have a switch. Should I run straight 87? Anything I should pay attention to, like oxygenated or ethonal contant (not including E85 of course)

Oil. I asked the previous owner the type of oil that's currently in the res.. It's Polaris brand. When asked if it's regular or Syn. he said that it's regular. So, I go to the local shop to buy some oil, and the Polaris injector oil says Semi Synthetic. Great, now what. I'm told that as late as last year, Polaris had non-syn, semi syn and full syn oil. My question is, can I buy the semi synthetic oil and mix it with the oil in the res, not knowing if it's fully non syn or semi-syn? Should I just suck out the nearly full res. and start over new? Seems wasteful to me.

I'm starting to think that I should run down to the local Barns and knobles and pick up a copy of Snowmobiling for DUMMIES! grin.gif

My performance AC Firecats are recommended (clearly spelled out in the manual grin.gif) to run on 87 octane, with ethanol blend is A-OK. In fact, if I run non-oxy high 92+ octane I have to change the jetting in the carbs. I had to fill up with premium fuel once (had no other option) and it ran terrible.

I run 87 oxy in almost everything. No problems.

Polaris semi-synthetic is just fine. I've heard Polaris got rid of the "old blue" oils and went to these semi- synthetics/full synthetic. I'm a Cat guy so I don't know from experience.

You can run full synthetic if you like. Personally, I won't run anything but full synthetic, but in my sleds, I must run full synthetic with exhaust valves formula in my engine. You don't have to worry about it in your snowmobile.

Personally, I only run AMSOIL full synthetics in all the toys.

Thanks for the info, very good to hear. I think the manual said something about most sleds being setup for 87, but then went into the whole switch and really, it wasn't written very well.

Do you think I'll have trouble mixing the oils if it is indeed "old blue" oil in the res. and I add semi-syn oil? That's really what has me concerned now. Like I said, I'd rather not suck out the exsisting oil if I don't have to, but will if I should or need to, of course.

You are fine mixing the two, but if you like you can always run the res tank down, and fill with the new stuff later. No need to worry as most oils are all compatible these days, and they usually say that on the bottle.

I'll probably just run the tank down as far as I feel comfortable going. Thanks for the advice. Like I said, it may just be easier to buy Sleding for Dummies. lol My knowledge stops pretty much after knowing it's a snowmobile.

Most 2-cycle machines today are set up for 87 octane standard pump gas, with ethanol content up to 10%.

In Minnesota I would recommend using ONLY full synthetic lubricants in an oil-injected 2-cycle sled/snow-mobile. The injector pumps are very viscosity sensitive, and in the cold climate, only a full synthetic is going to be capable of being the right viscosity to meter correctly when cold!

Almost all sleds now have 'power-valve' equipped engines, use AMSOIL Interceptor for the best performance in all 'power-valve' engines. {Unless on course you are racing. For modified race engines use the AMSOIL Dominator.}