• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

ANyone want to recommend trainers for a Springer pup? I can't do it.

Powerstroke

Like anything, you have to have the temperment to train a dog....I mean a pup. I've obedience trained older dogs before, but I don't have the know how or the patience to train a pup for hunting. Its hard to admit, but sometimes you gotta call it when you're over your head.

I want to make sure my pup turns out right. I'm hoping to find a trainer near the metro (SW preferably) so I can hang out during training sessions and learn what I don't know. I want to be able to continue the training at home, but I will need a pro's help first.

Any thoughts? Money is a small concern, but I know you get what you pay for.

You could try Sand Creek Kennels. They're locate between Montgomery and Waterville. They are a big time field bred springer spaniel kennel. I don't know these folks and offer no guarantees but I've heard a few good things about them.

Powerstroke-

Sand Creek would be a very good options. Bill Boeckman is a top notch trainer. He took 4th place at the National Open this year.

Another option for you might be to join a spaniel orianted club. Alot of them get together atleast once a month to train, if not more frequently. Some pros get involved in these sessions as well as well as some very knowledgeable spaniel people.

Hope this helps you.

I've had two dogs trained by Wings and Whistles out of Watertown. The cost is reasonable and I don't have any complaints. What I liked about them is that they train the owner as well. They train with e-collars and spent a number of hours working with me as well. Worth every penney. The springer we have is a Pine Shadows dog- it was a started dog that was trained by Pine Shadows. Just note that Pine Shadows doesn't do a lot of work with the e-collars. Even though they had trained our springer we still sent her to Wings/Whistles for some finishing work with the ecollar. It worked well for us since my son could work with the trainer and learn how to control the dog. Don't get me wrong - no complaints about Pine Shadows, it's just that we're close to Watertown so it was very convenient to bring my son to work with them.

Geez. I thought Pine Shadows was expensive one! Turns out they are the cheapest for 1 months board and train. Go figure.

Anyway, I will check into all of these. I appreciate the suggestions and keep them coming if you think of any. I know there are some local clubs and I'm looking at them too.

I know this is still the cheapest and best route for me since I don't have the time and money to get birds and starter guns etc for training. This is one of those things that I believe is best left to the pros.

I don't think the Wings/Whistles Fast Start training program is priced much different than Pine Shadows. Like I said, they've trained both of my dogs and I don't have any complaints. They were highly recommended by a friend of mine that also has a springer and a pointer trained by them - and he has high standards.

let me just start out by saying i dont train dogs for bird use but do for police work. I have found the biggest thing is to build a bond with any new dog!! and remember that if you are working with a 1 yr old dog it is like dealing with a 7 yr old kid ( 2 yr old dog=14yr old kid). They will have they good days and bad days. traing hard on the good days, put them away on the bad, all it will do is make you mad and that transfers to the dog. They look to you for guidance and support, if you are mad they are sad and confused. I know there are some dogs that require advanced training from a professional but most dogs if you sit back and try to understand them and work together you will be very satisfied with the results. I do not mean this in a negative manner at all however i have seen dogs that have gone to some one else to be trained and do an outstanding job with the trainer and in front of the trainer, then when you are away from the person that trained that dog you have to rebuild the bond with the dog to make it work again like it did with the trainer. I hope this makes sense and that i am not making any trainers mad, because that is not my intentions. Basically folks spend some time with your dog, learn to understand the dog, and work with the dog....THAT MAKES A GREAT TEAM!!! just my thoughts, dont mean to make anyone mad. just my two cents

Take a look at TKO retrievers out of Clearwater Mn. Tim does a fantastic job. I personally know of 3 dogs including mine that have been trained there. Very impressed with all 3 dogs. My dog is a Springer and had some very bad habits when I brought her there. She no longer has them.

I also realized I was in over my head when it came to training my pup.

Another vote here for Wings and Whistles. Mike and Dave are great guys and I was very impressed with the training in both the "Bird and Gun Intro" and the "Fast Start" Programs. Believe me, it's not over when you get your dog back, in fact it puts you at the point where your at least treading water. There is still a lot of work to do on your part, but Mike and Dave give you the tools and show you how to use them.

Good Luck

Thats what I'm looking to hear Joe. I realize that I need to maintain the work that was started at the trainers and continue it at home, but as far as getting him on the right track and taking care of some of the hard things like guns and birds, I know that a trainer is the best way for me.

The wife already agrees with me and is okay with paying the money. She doesn't hunt, but she knows that the dog will be a better family dog too from being trained properly. She wants to know how to teach our dog too. Best way to play with a dog is to play the games he wants to play (fetch).

Know both Bill Boeckman Sandcreek kennel and Mark Haglin Pine Shadow kennel and would recommend both very highly. They both know Springer’s and Springer training. Both are very attentive in helping new handlers understand what to expect from their Springer and how to handle the dog.