• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Frustrated - need to vent

Blaze

Yeah I don't know what to do either. I actually have my sled up for sale right now, but if we got a decent snow tomorrow I would definitely would take it off the market. My dad seems to think that I should hold onto it since it is paid for, but then again I could buy a boat if I sold it. My brother-in-law sold both his sleds two years ago and feels fortunate that he was still able to get a decent price for them at the time. With many winters now with minimal snow I would think that is really going to drive down the value of used sleds.

I bought my first sled right out of college and had it for 2 winters. First winter was good, lots of snow. Second winter I used it maybe 6 times. One thing that made me get rid of it was that I hit a snow drift I didn't see doing about 60mph and I flew off. tongue.gif But, with hardly getting to use it that second year because of a lack of measurable snow, in the summer I traded it in as a down payment on a boat. grin.gif

Not always a guarantee that there will be enough snow to sled on, but it's a sure thing that there will be open water come spring, summer and fall. smirk.gif

I hear everybodys pain.

I got into snowmobiling about 5 years ago and have absolutely fallen in love with it!! I am 31 years old and can remember the "good old days" when we used to get plenty of snow in MINNESOTA. The first few years I told myself, next year will be better. Well we all know it hasn't gotten better, but worse.

Fortunately my work schedule allows me the ability to make several weekday trips into the UP if needed, which I have done quite frequently the last few years. For this I consider myself very fortunate. If I did not than the sled was going to just sit and collect dust. I could not justify spending $9,000 on a sled for it to sit on the trailer. I just have to dedicate a lot of money to travel, lodging, ect... which eventually severly hurts the bank account.

I also know there has been areas in Minnesota where there has been alright snow here and there, but nothing consistent. Every place at least a 2+ hour drive from the cities.

It just seems uncomprehensible that in Minnesota on December 27th the temp in the cities is 40 some degrees, 0 inches of snow on the ground, and rain (maybe snow) in the forecast. I am not asking for the blizzard of 1990 every year, but I dont think Average temps and Average snowfall is to much to ask for.

The more I think about it the more I realize there is nothing I can do about any of this weather stuff. But it feels good to get it off my chest to others who understand.

Thanks, Matt

Since 1979 when I bought my first new sled I have never had a season with less than 2000 miles of riding, and some as much as 3500. Even when the kids were small we continued to ride and either brought them with or had the grandparents watch them. Shoot, in 1995 I had almost 800 miles on by Christmas. The reason I remember that is because at 5:30 pm on New Years eve of 1995 I hit a deer at over 50 mph. That wasn't real fun but I wasnt injured and it got me a brand new sled 5 days later and I never even had to miss a weekend of riding.

I am the same way..."have sled will travel". I dont expect this year to be any different. I already have a backup plan for Montana riding if we dont get enough here. The wife is pretty much sick of hearing me whine, so she's pulling for snow too!

I'm becoming less frustrated by the minute... grin.gif

Woke up to over 3" of snow and forecast says 4-6" today, and looks like the major storm will hit us Saturday night thru Sunday...hints of another 4-8".

Don't lose hope!

Get used to it- it is getting wimpier here every winter. Less snow, less cold, year after year the last 6-8 years in a row... it is not an aberration or a quirk- it is a fact that this is how winters are going to be here during our lifetimes and our kids as well, most likely.

Just got back from my inaugural run here at home. I'd say 5-6" on the ground, with wind drifting up lotsa fun piles! I feel like a nicotine addict after my first smoke of the day... cool.gif Got my fix for a little while.