• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Season Recap- Let's hear it!

Rost

Although we still have a few weeks left for pheasants and deer, my hunting season is winding down. It's time to start thinking about fishing and coyotes for this winter.

Just the other night I was looking over photos from this past year and remembered what an awesome time we had. I had the chance to hunt with old buddies and new alike. I just can't tell you how fortunate I am to get to hunt with the guys I do.

Here's a few of the season highlights. I posted a few of these pics in other forums on this site, so I apologize if you've seen them already.

The early goose season is always the kick off for us. It's a chance for us to get the rust out and itch our trigger fingers. The season started well for us!

Pictured here is: TJ,Ryan, Andy, myself, and Derek (and Derek not pic) with a 30 limit.

100_0013-1.jpg

Day 2- Derek, TJ, and I with a limit. I was fortunate to find these two as they have won the Co-MVP award for the season in my book. TJ is Madison homegrown. He knows about every farmer in this county and has gotten us on a lot of fields this fall! Derek, well he scouts in his sleep. He seriously knew about every pod of geese in the County before the season even started. Both awesome guys to hunt with!

100_0016.jpg

Here's TJ, me, Ryan and Tim with another morning where the geese piled in! Ryan (my left) is my long time buddy and tourney fishing partner.

100_0020.jpg

The duck opener was the sloppiest day for field hunting ever!

100_0025.jpg

Managed a banded wood duck!

100_0027.jpg

Day 2 Ducks and geese..

100_0033.jpg

Marli with a bird...

100_0031.jpg

Here's Derek, TJ and I with an early October limit.

100_0037.jpg

Honker Limit- Derek busted me on film completely missing a honker at about 20 yards. Just ask him, he's always eager to tell the story! tongue.gif Must of had some "dud" shells that day.

100_0041.jpg

Derek shot this banded snow one day. Coolest band I have ever seen. It was so old, it was almost worn through! The certificate didn't even have a date recorded.

100_0047.jpg

Here's some late season mallards with Derek and Dokken. Having Dokken around for the late season was the ticket! When we get off work, it's to dark to scout. So it's nice to have a college bum around with only 3 classes a week. He'd sleep until noon, wake up and go scouting. J/K Dok grin.gif

100_0067.jpg

Short of a 5 man limit this day, but still a great time..

Friday.jpg

Now for deer! (My second hunting love).. Went back to MN Slug hunting and had a blast. Haven't picked up a slug gun in four years. Hunted with my family again, which I miss a lot.

My brother shot a good one..

100_0050.jpg

Here's my deer...

100_0054.jpg

And my dad's buck..

100_0052.jpg

Well, this sums up my season highlights.. I am already looking forward to next year!

Anyone else have 2006 hunting highlights to share? Please do!

My season did not compare to yours at least I made the most of the time I got out. This is the only picture I have stored in my computer. My others are in my old computer. Once I get them out I will post up.

I actually had 3 wall hanger bucks infront of me at once. This was the second largest. Too bad the bigboy did not offer me a shot.

buckstand.jpg

Oh Yes, that is the stand I shot this deer out of!

More pics to come.

mw

I will post a couple. I really only hunt pheasant and have been having a blast this year with all the mild weather.

A 2 man limit for the day:

DSC02495.jpg

A couple birds from a new piece of land Ive been hunting this yeat thats close to home:

DSC02506.jpg

Same spot, different day = same result:

DSC02507.jpg

nothing a like hunting a wise old rooster with some LONG tails:

DSC02519.jpg

Plan to get plenty more this year. Rost I will be looking forward to hopefully meeting up with you again and get in some hunting before the season ends.

I too, had a good season. I didnt get out even 1/4 of what I had the past few seasons though... frown.gif Work sucks...

I did get to hunt with some new people who were great. They made the few days I did get out unbelievable. To you I say thanks, also thanks to Rost and crew for putting Haffner and I on that south unit opener field. I hunted South Dakota and Saskatchewan and put on probably 20,000 miles between a few differnt trucks. Can't wait till next year, and I'll gaurentee I'll be back to my usuall amount of hunting...Rost, are you ready to make a trip west? cool.gif

This is from the September opener. Rain busted the first day but we made up for it the second day...limit of 25

Andygoose1.jpg

This is a pic cory posted but it was a grand ole day. Dont think I forgot about that gosling rost...I'm sure derek can dig up the video...

Andygoose2.jpg

This is our lake poinsett hunt. We hunted a 10 acre wheat field behind my buddies cabin...too bad there wasnt a hide or we would have whacked em...

races012.jpg

Here is our first day in Canada. We killed our 40 ducks, a limit of specks, a few snows and canadas. I also killed a blonde hen pintail, it is a sweet duck.

a52.jpg

a51.jpg

a53.jpg

Day 2 in Canada was a bust. We had a good field the night before but some new birds started a feed a mile away the next morning and sucked all the birds to it...oh well...also a banded drake this day

a54.jpg

a55.jpg

Day 3 in canada was good. hunted a lentil field and did ok on the specks and little canadas...nicknamed the field the pooltable, cuz that is what it looked like.

a56.jpg

Day 4 was ok as well. Killed a bunch of greens and canadas as well as a few specks.

a57.jpg

The last 2 days haffner and I hunted alone, the rest of the guys were after snows...we killed some canadas and a couple specks...no wind, yikes

a58.jpg

Day 6. we only had a couple hours to hunt and we had to hit the road back to the states so we hunted a duck field...in the pouring rain. brrr. Took turns shooting one at a time out of a flock. Tons of birds came back and it was a good time...had our 16 drakes an no time. Haffner also killed a speck.

a59.jpg

I didnt hunt much after Canada but I did get in 2 good shoots before the cold snap...2 days limits of canadas and a days limit of greens.

sishonks1.jpg

sishonks2.jpg

Andy

I know we're talking Hunting here, but this is the first year EVER I didn't hunt back in SoDak. We'll do a few fish instead.

I only made it back a couple times to fish, but caught and released a 7.7# 27" eye on Easter weekend '06.

ty_eye1.jpg

I also caught and released one of the fattest perch I'd ever seen.

ty_perch2.jpg

Last year was a year to remember indeed!! Couldn't believe the numbers of pheasants and deer. Hopefully this year will be as good. Come on rain!!!

The fellas!

SouthDakota06019.jpg

The brothers!

SouthDakota06002.jpg

West River

DavidandBrettSD06DeerHuntWRiver015.jpg

DavidandBrettSD06DeerHuntWRiver004.jpg

163" Net Bow

SDBow06017.jpg

And the new addition

GretchenSchaffer045.jpg

Great year!!!! SB

Soon to be livin the dream...!

Rost, Yeah its a SoDak buck. Had to hunt him for a couple years and I got him just before the rifle opener. Lucky I did, we had a lot of hunting pressure by us for some reason this year and I got to witness some "harvesting" of some little bucks. Too bad, a couple would have been real nice this year, oh well... And yes soon to be a resident, if fact going out there on monday to do a little shed hunting and snow goose scouting. Heard they were in the area, but won't have a lot of time to hunt. Take care, SB