• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

LP's and cassettes to CD's

Bobby Bass

Does anyone else convert lp's and cassettes to cd's ? As if I don't have enough to do I am burning my entire library of vinyl to cd's and then will do all the cassettes that I have, After that it is anyone else's vinyl that I can get my hands on. Anyone else converting their libraries?

Yes, in my spare time. That means I do, but it's a pretty slow process.

I've done only a few albums, good thing I don't have a large collection. My uncle has a large, but not huge, collection of LPs and he has asked if I could do it for him.

The Lil Mrs (aka computer geek) has a new puter coming for us for Christmas. I have about 60 albums and well over 250 90 minute cassettes that I want to record onto CD. Will be at that a while I am sure. However if I really wanted to spend some time at it I could dig out all the old reel-to-reels that I have and convert them as well. Might be a lot quicker to go and search the time life web site! I have a bunch of music that was made at parties and when played will evoke memories and there is just no replacing that. Have a good one and N Joy the Hunt././Jimbo

I wish I still had all my reel to reel tapes but they have long since disappeared during one of the wife's spring cleanings. I just recently replaced my turntable with a audio-technica which came with software for converting. Since I want to be able to listen to different tracks I have to record each track instead of a whole lp side at a time. As time goes on I will load everything into a cd 300 disk player and just let them play. Fun listening to songs that I have not played forever. Of course there is some eye rolls from the daughter for some of the music she has to listen to grin.gif

Music? You guys listen to music for your kids?

My dad used to say "turn that noise down" and "what kind of junk is that". My daughter loves MY music, and my son likes much of it - but their stuff? .....noise or junk, pure and simple.

I'm turning my LPs into a digital library.

When I worked in the metro, I had a casette deck on my desk and would record Tony Lee's best KQ bits. I hope to get that stuff transferred, too. There's a lot of good stuff that never made it on their best-of CDs.

I have about 13000 LP's but I don't plan on converting all of them. I use to have a small recording studio and did some mastering work so I still have some software that does a fairly good job at eliminating pops and clicks as well as hiss. Unlike some of the newer DA programs it can run in batch which is good for doing batches of albums. IIRC there are a couple of add-ins for ProTools that can process files in batch but since I don't use ProTools I'm not familiar with them. Since I work from home I can take a bit of time each day to record a few albums and then process them for pops and clicks. In the evening I can spend a few minutes to take the DA files and chop them up into individual song files and store them. Every month I take the albums I've recorded and then burn them onto DVD's for long term storage.

I am using Cakewalk Pyro 5 for my software. It will allow you to connect your turntable to your CPU and then by using the software you can clean up your tracks when you transfer to Cd's. It is time consuming, you must make wav files of each tracks, but you can record the entire LP side if you want to as one track. there is other software out there that will let you record an LP side and then come back and edit each song to a track. I try and do an LP a day, but it's going to take me most of the winter and then I will start on the cassette collection. Nice part is as I am recording I can sit and read on FM.com grin.gif