• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

1st hunting dog - I want input

portageman

I get a Brittany if you want some shooting over points. Or a springer if you are into flushers. With a small yard you'll need to find a smaller and calmer dog and also find a way to exercise it.

I agree with GPSMAN on the smaller dog for what you want in a Phesant dog. I have taken a lot of guys out huntting in my area, and have been very impressed with them. They are all great dogs. Another choice would be a German shorhair or a Griffon. Smaller but very good. CAJ

I would tell you to go and watch a number of breeds in person. You may not like the dog that another person likes. I am partial to Springers for pheasant hunting. They are a smaller dog and are great family dogs. First and formost, know what you are buying. Ask alot of questions when you go look at a litter. Hope this helps you out and good luck in your search.

I have had springers for 15 years and a have had a lab for about a year now. While both are tremendous family dogs, I have 4 kids, the youngest is 2, the springer is the better hunter. Yes, he is older, but his ability to navigate through thick stuff is amazing. Honestly it is probably 6 one way, 1/2 a dozen the other, but I will get another springer when my current springer "retires".

You have to decide if you want a pointer or a retriever. I have a lab that I use primarly for pheasant hunting and I would not get another breed. The lab is very versatile and an extremely hard working dog. They are also a great family dog and aim to please. They are great with kids and other pets as well. If you decide some day to hunt waterfowl then you would have a dog that can also do that.