• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ice Auger on Polaris Sportsman

Lazy Mike

Has anyone figured out a good way to mount their ice auger on the front rack of a new Sportsman? The newer Sportmans have a flat composite front rack without any raised bars to clamp Mad Dog Ice Auger supports onto. In addition the flat rack also acts as a door that swings up for storage. Is it strong enough to carry an auger?

I have an 01 500 HO and I bolted a half inch piece of plywood on the front rack. Prior to putting the plywood on the rack I screwed in 2X4's stacked, two on the auger end and three on the motor head end. I then notched out a portion of the 2X4's so the shaft portion of the auger and gear box portion of the auger head fit into the grooves. I then just strapped the auger in. Works fine for a couple of bucks.

Does the auger motor rest on the plywood or hang free? How long and wide is the plywood and what did you use to attach plywood to the ATV rack? I feel a plan comming together. This idea is just what I was looking for. Thanks Tink

Sorry for the delay was out for a few days. I made the plywood as big as the front rack. I attached the plywood to the rack using a u-clamp/bolt. You can modify the 2X4's depending on the type of auger you have. The auger shaft rests on the 2X4 just high enough so the fins clear the plywood. I have a Jiffy Model 30, 9 inch and I made a groove to slide the gear/housing unit into the 2X4's just enough so the auger handles would rest on the plywood. Just strap it down any way you would. Hope this is clear enough. If you want I can send you a digital when I mount it back on the wheeler.

I've had good luck with the style in the last picture. Had them on my 02 700 Polaris and put them on the 06 800 Polaris after the 02 was stolen with a brand new 10in Lazer auger on it! Had a scooper and hook remover in the rear rack too.

The only thing I don't like about them is strapping down the muffler side. When strapped down good 75 mph no problem.