• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

ARCTIC CAT "PROWLER"... 2 UP... 500 LIQUID

hovermn

Alright, I'm sure you guys are sick of the questions now, but I have on or two more. Yes, I've been going back and forth between a sled and wheeler. Over the last couple of days, I've come to the conclusion that I can't aford a wheeler at this point, they hold their value way too well. So, back to the sleds.

I'm looking at a '95 Arctic Cat Prowler, 2 up 500 liquid. 3300 miles with reverse and in great condition. I stopped by and looked it over an hour or so ago. The engine says 440. My question is, does the 440 engine have decient enough power to pull a portable (or two) and carry two people? I checked the sled out thinking it was a 500. Seeing 440 on the engine concerned me a bit.

The sled's a family riden sled, lightly used. It looks pretty good, but will probably need a new track somewhere down the line if I plan on taking it up north. I'd say there was around 3/4" of paddle left on the track. Comes with new trailer hitch.

Whatcha think? Asking price is $1200.

Interesting, where does it say 500?

500's didn't come out until early '97 ( mid year release ).

Liquid 440 should be putting out about 70 hp or so ( give or take ), 2 people and a portable shouldn't be too much trouble. Very dependable engine.

I had a '92 Cougar with a liquid 440, still one of my favorite sleds.

Price sounds pretty good.

Mike

Thanks for the info. I forgot to mention that it's EFI. I'm going out tomorrow to look it over with the owner. I guess we'll see what happens. Of course, the second I buy it, I'll have ruined any and all possibility of some snowfall this year! lol Sorry to ruin it for the rest of you, guys! grin.gif

I don't really know anymore. Like I said, I started with the intention of spending around $600 for a sled purely for ice fishing. Then, before I knew it, I was looking and considering a $4200 ATV. Now, I'm finding myself in the $1000-$2600 range and I'd like something that I can trail ride with and carry 2 riders as well.

Here's what I've found so far:

Yamaha Venture Fan cooled engine. Reverse, electric start, 2 passenger seat, hand warmers. 3500 miles. Good condition. Is serviced and ready to ride. $1395

1997 Arctic Cat Panther 440 esr, slightly longer 136" track, two passenger seat with backrest and rack, electric start, reverse, hand warmers, accessory tow hitch, plastic skis, mirror and more! Well maintained, excellent condition. 2206 miles. Is serviced and ready to ride. $1995

1999 Arctic Cat Panther 2-up Snowmobile, fan-cooled, electric start, reverse. 291 original miles. Near new condition! Great for going out to the fish house or family fun! $2600

1998 Arctic Cat Panther 2 up, Fan cooled 440 1686 miles $2399

I truely am a vir-gin when it comes to snowmobiles and ATV's. My hovercraft is gone and I'm completely toy-less. That just doesn't cut it for me! grin.gif So, do any of these sound like good machines at decent prices? I have to say, I wasn't prepared for the reaction I got in the ATV forum about liquid cooled. Kinda scared me into fan cooled, that's for sure.

Go with the Prowler man!

There is a BIG difference in hp between a 440 fan and a 440 liquid. I would not be concerned at all that it is a 440.

What did the ATV guys say about liquid vs fan? The system is similar on snowmobiles but the heat exhangers are up in the tunnel of the sled. So while you are riding, there is constantly snow and ice getting thrown up on them to aid in cooling. Thats why you have to monitor your engine temp while riding on a lake with no snow (and where a fan would be better). Other than that, a liquid should be allowed to warm up a few minutes before you ride it. That allows the antifreeze to circulate and warm up with the engine.

This is my "other" sled, 1992 Arctic Cat EXT Special. The EXT is identical to the Prowler except its got "more power"! smile.gif There's a 550 liquid twin under the hood of those sweet pink flames. This sled has been surprisingly reliable since I picked it up. Half choke, 5 pulls, and it'll fire every single time. It 'needs' to warm up a little on half choke before it'll settle into a good idle but once it warms up, it purrrs pretty nice. My only complaint is the twin pipes on this bad boy really rap! smile.gif

92extinthesnow7nq.jpg

A buddy of mine sold this to me for $750 a couple years ago so I think $1200 for that Prowler is not out of line. If you could get him down to $1000 even, I think you are getting a heck of a deal.

These sleds are really comfortable to ride. Your seating position is a little more upright than some other sleds I've ridden. That big windshield and fairing really cut the wind too. The 95 you are looking at may have the windshield back on the hood if I remember right.

Hanson,

The guys were saying that with liquid, I'd run into major problems with early/late season fishing. That hard packed snow can be a problem and that I'm pretty much out of my mind for choosing a liquid over a fan.

I'm going to check out the sled in about an hour. Not sure if I'll make an offer, but I'm going to look at it anyway. There are a few stops a little further north that I may make as well.

Guess we'll see what happens. Both liquid and fan cooled guys have great points. What it boils down to, I guess, is what works best for my situation, and because of that, I can't thank everyone enough for helping me out. It's good to read the different opinions, especially for someone that has no idea what they're looking for.

So, hopefully by the end of the day, I'll have a sled. If not, I've got nothing but time :-)

Thanks!

The 440 liquids are very good engines, and they have plenty of spunk to haul fishing equipment...I know, I had a 440 liquid for years and it worked great.

The Prowler isn't a bad price. EFI is a question, however. I know they had carb models in '95, but a friend had an efi and I recall issues with it, but I don't know what year the machine was.

As far as the Panthers, I think they are asking too much. I sold a '99 Panther with low miles last winter for a lot less than their asking price. Typical price range around $1500-1800. Sleds do not hold value well. frown.gif

I used to have a 91' prowler.

Great sled !!

The old prowler is still in family so to speak.

I bought it from a friend for $500.00 and sold

it to a friend for $500.00.

It has been bought and sold for $500.00 a couple

of times between friends of mine. The old

prowler gets ridden every winter, no problems.

One of the best snowmobiles I've ever owned.

It is 440 liqiud. I would'nt own anything but liquid.

Quote:

The guys were saying that with liquid, I'd run into major problems with early/late season fishing. That hard packed snow can be a problem and that I'm pretty much out of my mind for choosing a liquid over a fan.

I guess us thousands of snowmobilers who own liquids are out of our minds than. smile.gif I bet 70% of sleds that are on the trails are liquids. Liquids, for the most part, are performance sleds and that is what snowmobilers want. You can't have a high hp fan sled, you just can't get enough air across the cylinder heads to cool them.

Like I've probably said, both my sleds are liquids, and my previous sled was a liquid. I've used them ice fishing in nearly every condition imaginable and they have worked fine.

I agree with Hanson.

I've had fans and liquids. For those warm days I will take a liquid over a fan, any day. grin.gif I'd don't think I'd ever own a fan again unless I have children. Not bashing fans, I just know my wife doesn't like them for trail riding and I don't either. I'll turn a high performance sled into an ice fishing machine any day...actually in the process..

I've talked to the owner and his wife a couple of times now about the sled. Their main priority is reliability while trail riding and that they wouldn't own anything unreliable. I know what you're thinking, so why sell them. Kids are grown up and don't have time to ride anymore.

They claim that there haven't been any issues with the sled, and I believe them. I'd think that after 3300 miles, the EFI on at least this sled has proven its self? I heard it run today, and with the exception of a dead battery that killed it (he started it with a short charge from a charger) it ran fine. He doesn't take the battery out to charge it every year. Instead, he replaces it. Eh, whatever. If I pick it up, I'm taking it out every year!

After looking at it again and talking with the owner in person, I think I'm going to make an offer. Because of work, I'll have to wait another day before I can get my hands on it, but it really looks like a clean machine. There's a rack on the back that I can fabricate an auger mount for and it has room for two and a tow hitch. Comes with cover and helmets if I choose.

Found out from a couple of cat techs that yes indeed, problems were plentiful with the 95 EFI cat sleds. Something about relays burning out and other fun stuff.

I'm actually going to look at another sled tonight. 2003 Polaris 2 up 550 fan. 2 ups are not easy to come by for a good price. This one's a good price! 2003 with 1600 miles reverse. Asking $2200. The owner wants a smaller sled. Bought it from a pro ice fisherman (I'll get that name later, forgot it) that got the sled free from Polaris and sold it for a good price.

I'll keep you guys posted.

Hovermn, I picked up an entry level sled myself this winter. It is 1996 Polaris SL-500 fan cooled, pull start, and no reverse which I may or may not regret at some point. The sled has 3500 miles on it and I bought it for 1200.00 from a friend of a friend who is moving to AZ. I also picked up an aluminum trailer for 400.00 so the package was 1600.00. I like you will only use this for 2 months out of the year for ice fishing so I was not looking to spend alot just wanting to get from point A to B without having to kill myself pulling all my gear.

Anyway, I notices on Gervais lake that there is a 1998 Poloris snowmobile with 2500 miles on it, electric start, reverse, and a single trailer for 1800.00 or 1900.00 for sale. I stopped and looked at it over the weekend and looked in great shape and would work for what you are looking for. In retrospec I think I might have snatched it up due to the reverse, electric start, and low miles. I also like that it a trailor for just one sled.

If you have a trailer already the person I bought mine from is also selling a 1998 Skidoo MX 500 air cooled with like 1500 miles for 2200.00. She is moving to AZ so the price might be negotiable.

Thanks for the info!

I actually just bought the sled! I didn't have my trailer with my, so I can't pick it up until tomorrow evening, but it's mine! Here's the info from the ad:

2003 550 FAN SPORT TOURING HAS 1653 MILES AND REVERSE. SLED IS IN GOOD SHAPE. THIS 2-UP DOES HAVE A $195 DOLLAR COVER WITH IT. SLED HAS BEEN STORED INDOORS IN THE SHED. WE ARE LOOKING TO DOWNSIZE TO SINGLE A SLED. YOU WILL NOT FIND A SLED IN THIS SHAPE FOR THIS PRICE. BOOK VALUE IS 3500 FOR THIS SLED. IT HAS NORMAL SCRATCHES AND WEAR AND TEAR.

Paid $2075 for it. A bit more than I planned on spending when I started this none-sense, but it's a newer sled with very few miles, good hyfax, carbides and pretty much new track with 1 1/2" paddles.

Dunno, I'm pretty happy about it. Guess I'll know for sure after we get some snow, AND I pass my snowmo safty course! lol

Again, thanks for everyone's help in this matter! I feel that I've made an informed decision, right or wrong. Oh yeah. I didn't end up buying it because it's fan. The price seemed right for the year/mileage. I don't want anyone to think that I've ignored what's been said smile.gif

Sure, if I can pass the snowmo safty course. shocked.gif Anyone born after 1976 needs to pass it. Seems silly, but oh well. I guess it goes on my drivers license some how, at least that's what I remember reading the other day. Of course, some snow wouldn't hurt, either.

Heard Ely has an inch. hehe

Quote:

I guess it goes on my drivers license some how, at least that's what I remember reading the other day.

Yeppers... On the back of my license under Endorsements, it says Snowmobile & Fireams Certificate.

Congrats on the purchase! Sounds like we were able to lead you to a purchase you'll be happy with. Even though it is a Polaris, you'll sure like the difference in suspension between an early/mid 90s snowmobile and something from the 2000s. Ride quality is night and day different plus you are dealing with a much newer machine as well, which should mean fewer problems.