• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

340 Arctic Cat Jag

hovermn

I went and looked at a '90 340 Arctic Cat Jag over the weekend. The sled looks like it's in decent shape for its age with everything working. 1000 miles on the OD and the motor's been rebuilt. The engine siezed after water got into the oil injector tank through a cracked cap. New rings, seals and different, not rebuilt or refurbished crank. 3 pulls and it started right up and purred like a kitten.

The sled was owned by a grampa that let his grand kids play around with it. The sled siezed and he gave it to the current owner. The current owner then rebuilt the engine and put it up for sale. Asking price: $550.

Whatcha think? I was hoping for a 440 or larger, but all I'd use it for is ice fishing pulling the portable. Does this sound like a good deal? I told him that I'd call back on Wednesday.

I'm talking about an Otter Cottage, not a wheeled house. It would be used to go from point A to B to C, etc... on the lake. I'm not looking for a trail sled. Just a means to get out before I can drive out.

Really? I wouldn't think that a sled of any size, aside from the pups would have trouble with a portable. Hmm, I may have to re-think this.

I'd rather not be limited to a smaller portable, or run the risk of buring up the sled because I'm pulling a buddies.

Sounds like a 440 or larger is really what I need to consider.

Paul, Thanks for the help. Any other opinions out there?

One thing to remember is Paul hauls everything he owns, his buddies own, stuff he found on the road, and a full cookware set along with the kitchen sink in his fishouse.Paul is always ready for everything. I mean who brings a cordless drill along on a sturgoen fishing trip? laugh.gif

I used to pull a Mag resort behind my pike sled, yes two sleds pulled by a 340 and it was fine, just have to make sure not to work it to hard in wet snow.

hovermn-

I'm kind of back and forth on this one. I think you'd probably be fine pulling whatever it is you wanted to pull, but I think you may be disappointed with the performance of the 340 down the road.

I know you are just talking about using the sled for ice fishing but I know I like to still take mine for a rip around the lake from time to time.

440 will definitely be "snappier" than the 340 with higher top end speed.

If you end up on a lake with a lot of new snow, you'll really appreciate the extra power, especially when pulling a portable.

The only time I've ever felt like I needed something else on the ice was up at Burntside Lake near Ely. When you got off the sled, you were over your knees in snow. I really could have used a big paddle track up there to keep moving through that powder with an Otter Lodge.

Hanson, Paul and Jon,

That's actually very helpful. I plan on attending the BSB this Jan. and would love to have something other than a car to haul around with. Not to say I'm buying something just for that event, but it is in the cards. With the age and size sleds that I've been considering, trail riding didn't seem very practical. I'd hate to break down in the middle of the boonies far far away from the truck. However, if the right sled came alone, I'd love to try it out. I've actually never really been on a sled, believe it or not. shocked.gif

So that's 3 views mentioning deep snow/slush. I think I'll keep looking. Though, for the shape it's in, it's a heck of a deal if you ask me. The engine bay and engine/carb looked brand new!

Thanks for the advice. I'm trying to keep with an air cooled sled, especially with the snow conditions we've had lately. What's another sled with a bomb proof rep? I heard something about a polaris 440 air. Any others? Anything larger? Keep in mind that I'd probably only put 100 or so miles on the sled a year, if that. Also, my knowledge about sleds begins and end with knowing they travel on snow shocked.gifgrin.gif

I have a 340 Puma which is pretty much the same thing.

It will tow a portable and your stuff, I've done it. Like earlier mentioned, if you get into some deep stuff it may not have the nads to get ya through. On the up side of that, if you get stuck they weigh about as much as a feather and are easy to get out by comparison to many of todays larger sleds.

550 is a good price if it's a good runner. These are fairly solid sleds. Mine is a 94 and I really haven't done a thing to it but use it. Kids ride it a lot around the back yard. I traded my big sled for a boat so I use the Puma to tow my portable around if I don't feel like using the wheeler.

I would really look for an early 90's Polaris Indy Trail Delux. It should have a 500cc fan cooled engine and I think most Trail delux's were long track 2ups. It'll have electric start and reverse if you get the delux. Best Ice fishing sled I ever bought. Mine is a 1991, bought it 5 years ago for $1500. Should probalby be down around 1000 or 800 or maybe less now days for something similar. So far it's been absolutly bullet proof, easy to manuver and start. Never been stuck in snow or slush up near Ely, and it's got the power to pull all your gear. Probably the best investment in a sled I've made over the years. 5000 plus miles on mine and it's still strong as ever. I had a 440 polaris of the same vintage and it was also a 2up. It was a nice sled but a little too small for my liking. The engine seemed to need to work too hard to pull gear and go through snow at the same time. I sold that one.

Just my two bits worth for ya.

We've had a 340 Puma, a '94 in fact, in the past and I'll mimic boilerguy's post. Not a lot of power, but it will get the job done....unless you have over 12" powder or heavy slush.

But, I rode and sold a '98 Panther 340 2-up last winter and that thing had more juice than the Puma 340. So, you never know. confused.gif

Personally, a 440 is preferred in my book. Much more performance for only 100cc's.

I run a 80 Panther with a modified 500 stuffed in it. Light weight and enough snap. Something to consider is the horsepower to weight ratio. Even when my sled had the stock 440 deep snow and slush was fine because I had a light sled with a big footprint. It was made back when sleds where built to go cross country not on the trail. Sleds from 90 on all have one design concept: Go fast down a groomed trail. Take that into your decision.

Fun aint it? grin.gif

I was in the same situation last year,just wanted a sled for ice fishing up at the cabin.I thought mid 90's 440 but was suprised after looking around.The first one I bought was a 1995 Yamaha Vmax500 liquid cooled with 4000 miles for $850.Good condition with only a 2" tear in the seat.I then found a 1996 Vmax600 for the same price but it was not in the same condition as the 1995.The reason I wanted another sled was if the first sled broke down plus the wife like the first one alot.Then a guy I knew sold me a 1994 Vmax600 with 2000 miles but just had both piston,rings and one of the cylinders redone for $750.At the $500 range that size sled might be right but if you're willing to pay alittle more and shop around you'll be surprised.

Chuck