• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Warn winch recall

harvey lee

I had my wheeler in for a tune up last week and also told them to fix my winch which just stopped working.He told me that there was a recall for certain winches from 4 years ago.I could not believe the dealer or Warn never notified me about it.They sent me a new syl. for it and now it works again.

For anyone that has a problem with thier winch that was bought around 2002-2003,call Warn winch as they told me it could start a fire.

Do you know which model(s) winch is affected? A2000, 2.5, etc...

OOPS, nevermind...it's on their homepage. I missed it.

"8 POST CONTACTORS FOUND IN WARN® ATV WINCH KITS

(WARN Part Number 62135.A0)

SOLD BETWEEN MAY, 2001 AND SEPTEMBER 1, 2005

Warn Industries is voluntarily recalling 8 post contactors that were part of

winch kits for All Terrain Vehicles and Utility Vehicles (ATV's).*

* RECALL INVOLVES 2500 - 3500 LB. WINCH KITS

POTENTIAL FIRE HAZARD"

Oh, you guys, I told ya the ATV forum had good info....that was discussed some time ago wink.gif

http://www.fishingminnesota.com/forum/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB56&Number=478820&Forum=,f56&Words=Warn&Searchpage=3&Limit=25&Main=478509&Search=true&where=bodysub&Name=&daterange=1&newerval=1&newertype=&olderval=1&oldertype=m&bodyprev=#Post478820

Harvey -

What was the problem you were having? I'm having issues with mine, which is a Warn. My problem is simply, "it doesn't work". I thought it was the switch, but after reading your post, I'm not so sure. I'm not sure of the year of the winch, but the machine is a 2002, and the winch was put on when the wheeler was originally bought.

Could my problem be a direct result of the recall?

Thanks...

Mine doesn't have a "on/off" button, but has a turn style switch...clockwise-in, counter clock-wise-out. When I turn the switch, nothing..no clicks, which leads me to believe it's my connection, not the solenoid. (had the same type problem years ago in an old S10 pickup..if it "clicked", I'd tap the solenoid with a hammer, which usually did the trick). Am I using the correct logic here?

Dave-thanks for the images..I'll look tonight..I've got a skid plate covering most of the winch, so it's difficult to tell without removing that first.

Eckie,

What you have is the older setup which uses the solenoid to just transfer positive power to the rotary winch switch, when the ignition is turned on.

WhiteRodgers-solenoid.gif

I've had a couple of the rotary switches stop working over the years; due to corrosion. Call Warn and they would probably send you a new one for free; if that's the problem.

When you turn your ignition on, you would hear the solenoid "click" on. Check all connections for tightness and corrosion.

Boy did I find some good customer service from Warn.They are sending me the new solenoid that I need. I explained to them that I was going to clean the two post off that connect to my winch and broke one bolt due to corrision.They said they would send me a new cover,bolts and brushes at no charge.Thats good CS. cool.gif

After looking at it closer...Dave, I think you're right..corosion seems to be the culprit here, since I hear no "click" - so my issue isn't the solenoid, but rather my connection. I'll clean it up and see if that will do the trick. I might even call Warn and see if a new switch might be in order as well.

Thanks guys!

When 12-volt is supplied to the small post terminal, the solenoid will be activated and "click". Check all your connections (power and ground) and make sure 12-volts is being supplied to that terminal.