• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What ATV implement does what????

Swill

Ok I am not a farmer and I can guess what implement tool would be best for a specific task, but I could really use some help...

I have about 2-3 acres of really thick brush/ vines along with 8-10 big old dead oak trees on the back side of my hunting property. I would like to clear out the trees this winter and possibly cut down all the hazelbrush to establish a nice food plot.

So if I cut down all that brush can I drag anything through all those left over brush roots? Or better yet, can I save on brush trimming and buy an implement? I have been looking at those dr. mower things, but it seems like I would use it once and be done with it for a long time... Plus you have to walk that mower everywhere.

For Implements I have found....

Disk

Drag

harrows

Sprayer

Seed / Fertilizer Sprayers

all in ones????

So how should I tackle this clearing project and what implement does what????

A disc (not disk) is a type of harrow. This is your best bet. It can cut thru material. You'll probably have to weigh it down.

A drag will just drag material around.

A moldboard plow, or a tine cultivater will clog almost immediatly due to the roots.

How big is the brush(diameter) you are talking about?

If you are talking just small stuff, get out the pruning shears and some gloves and go to town.

There isnt any ATV implement thats gonna remove the brush for you. Its gonna be a huge tangled mess. You need to get that stuff outta there, then worry about how to get the roots out.

Once you have it cut down, then you could utilize some implements to get the roots up(if you are talking small diameter brush here).

Or do as the previous post suggested, get a skid steer in there.

Biglakebass....

yes, my area looks just like your pics! Plus the dead trees.

How close to the ground did you prune the brush? Could I prune this winter and plant in the spring?

Can a plow on an atv push much soil? I live in a real sandy area, and I was thinking a plow might be able to handle pushing the soil around to prep the site...

So what are the basic implements a person needs for a food plot?

Can I get by with just a pull behind disc?

Can some implements do more than one thing? Like an all in one? If yes, any good brands?

Thanks for answering all the newbie questions!