• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Gophers recent success

buzzsaw

Quote:

Don't kid yourself either...Woog was in it for the golf tournaments and free drinks. If Lucia had some of the talent Woog did, Lucia would have 4 - 6 National Titles rather than "just" 2 of them.

I'm changing my response to your comment.

Utterly RIDICULOUS.

Could any reasonable mind regardless if your a Gopher hater or Gopher fan believe that Doug Woog was in it for the golf tournaments or Cocktails??????? LOL>

So Woog had more talent then Lucia UMMMMMM! Ridicoulus to say the least.

Four more National titles.......thats not ridicuolus thats freaking FUNNY!!!!!!

So Woog had more talent? Maybe Lucia should change his Multi/ National world wide recruiting banaza you know the one that has brought so many outstate Minnesota kids that have turned our program around and made the Gophers the power house they are now.......LOL.

I'm a big Gopher fan but have never been a Woog fan. Heck, he isn't even that great of a commentator let alone a coach.

Lucia could recruit all in-state and he would still perform. It's about the discipline and the players buying into a prescribed system more than anything. Woog's teams did not carry that type of chemistry.

I am also a big gopher fan. I remember watching in the 70's as a kid. I think Woog was a great fit at the time, but when he brought his own kid ( who is a great person but not D1 caliber) and some of his buddies kids to play I think he lost the respect. He also had to deal withSheppard reffing the games. Sheppard didn't want to be considered a homer and proved it on the ice. To me I want to see a good game with good officiating.

Quote:

I'm a big Gopher fan but have never been a Woog fan. Heck, he isn't even that great of a commentator let alone a coach.

Lucia could recruit all in-state and he would still perform. It's about the discipline and the players buying into a prescribed system more than anything. Woog's teams did not carry that type of chemistry.

That I can agree with...... grin.gif

Boy did they hang on Sunday night! How tired were they?! Just ask Wisconsin how nice it is to get outplayed and have your goaltender "steal" a game... that's been their M.O. the last few years with Elliot....

Buzz

I saw bits and pieces of the game and I totally agree that Briggs came up big for the Gophs. You need that type of play from your tenders when the guys up front have an off day.

In this next stretch of games through the end of the year, you've got a much better chance of losing if you have an off day. The gophs have benefitted from having the easier part of their WCHA schedule and non-conf early this year.

I'd love for the Red to pull off sweep this weekend, but I'm thinking they are going to split in two tight games. Should be fun to watch.

Quote:

The gophs have benefitted from having the easier part of their WCHA schedule and non-conf early this year.

Not to argue with ya bud, just want to set ya str8. Check out this link, it shows that Minnesota has had the 6th strongest/toughest schedule in the nation (Wisconsin was 7th toughest)... I just think Minny has taken care of business where Wisconsin has had to overcome some injuries and inconsistant play on the offensive end. Here's that link.

http://www.collegehockeynews.com/ratings/krach.php

I think it will be a tough series and hope for three points for Minnesota... if Minnesota scores four goals both nights they'll sweep... if not it will be close.

Buzz

I totally agree that Minny has been far better on the offensive end this year.

I find it interesting that KRACH has WI lower than Minny. I'm interested on how it is calculated. Since the beginning of the year WI, has only had one series where their opponent was not in the top 20 or an honorable mention(UMD series). Also one of their holiday tournament games was against an unranked opponent (Providence). The rest of the year they've only got two more series vs unranked opponents (UMD & Mankato)

Meanwhile Minny has had 5 series against unranked opponents thus far (Wayne State, UMD, Mankato twice, and their holiday tournament). They don't have another series though the rest of the year, except the Final Five at the end.

The team that has had an absolute beast of a schedule is Mankato. They've got it real tough, even non-conf games. That sure makes it tough to get momentum with a younger struggling team. It's a little too much trial by fire.

Regardless, there should be some good hockey to watch down the stretch.

Speaking of Mankato, I do not want to play them in the WCHA tourney later this year! They outshot us all four games this year and play us so tough! Anybody but them in the first round!

the wild ride finally ends... and what a ride it was.

gophers flat out looked exhausted tonight. Hopefully this loss will take some of the pressure off of the gophers and the can regroup and finish the second half strong.

I agree, they look tired. I wouldn't be suprised if they lost again tomorrow. I hope not, but 5 players going to the Jr's thing, they always seem to need a couple weeks to recoup. Let someone else be #1 for awhile. the only time it counts is after the last game of the year.

I agree. Their 4th line did the best job out there tonight. Some guys looked like they were skating in mud-not just the guys coming back from juniors. Everybody has a bad game, and tonight Vanelli was just not with it. He kept fanning on passes, shots to be taken,hooking guys, et. Hopefully he and the rest of the guys can re-group for a split tomorrow. That was a very uneventful and painful display tonight-score could have been a lot worse. Guess were all a little spoiled by the past 3 months. Go get 'em tomorrow...

Yep- Frazee pretty much sealed the deal tonight. I was worried in the 3rd- we were basically happy to just get the puck out of the zone-then the Cheese would come right back in. I know their game plan and "D" is stifling, but not real talented, so I was kinda surprised tonight we couldn't get some more chances on Elliot. I though our speed up front would be able to get more scoring chances against their very average D core. Oh well, just win, baby... Next weekend should be a great series with Denver coming to our house. I hope to get to at least one of those.