• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Midwest Autumn

Hey Buzz, nice shot. Reminds me of my youth in SW Wisconsin.

Where I spent my summers (on my grandparents' dairy farm near a little town called Eastman, Wis., in the southwestern part of the state near Prairie du Chein), the dairy farmers used corn straw and grain straw as bedding in the cows' stalls to soak up the, well, you know . . . grin.gif

Beautiful buzz, the modern day version of fields covered in corn shocks that our parents and grandparents once knew. Your shot could've been taken right up the road here a few weeks ago. Steve is correctamundo as to the purpose of the round bales of cornstalks. Nice dry cornstalks like those we've had this fall are very absorptive, as good if not better than straw. Helps keep the animals clean and moisture in the barns down, moisture that increases the likelihood of pneumonia and other maladies for them. And the critters frequently consume the leaves and small diameter stalks, adding some additional roughage to their diet. Depending on the baler and who's running it, round bales generally contain the equivalent of 15 - 30 small square bales. We use cornstalk bedding here too but ours is baled in large square bales. 1 large square bale = roughly 15 to 20 small square bales. Stacks nicely inside a shed and is just a little easier to deal with given our sheep enterprise. There, everything you could possibly want to know about bales of cornstalks! wink.gif

I'm picking up on a subtle hint, am I correct Dan? grin.gif I wouldn't use the first one as Rene sent me off in that direction and has already submitted a "November skies" entry from this area into the competition.

You really need to get out with the group, there were eight or nine of us out the other night, alot of good peeps that are very willing to share their experiences.

I agree Mike, the other night I was out of town until late and my other "job" has been keeping me busy with other photo subjects. One of these outings will work soon. Oh, and #2 would make a real nice submission.