• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Expandables and "kick out"

metrojoe

Well, I'm at a cross roads again? I finally gave in and purchased my first set of expandable broadheads last year(Rocky Mountain Extreme) and I come to find out thier not making them anymore. I used one for practice and I shot deer with the other 2 so now I need to find a new expandable. crazy.gif

I looked at Rocky's web site and all they carry now is the Snyper series. These broadheads use a rearward opening design(cam action). It is supposed to prevent whats known as "kick out". I guess this has been a problem with the traditional style expandables.

Anyone have experience with the new rearward opening design?

Also, has anyone had a problem with "kick out"?

I have used snipers (2 blade) for the last two years. I have had very good success with them (watched 2 of the 3 I've shot with them fall) My only disappointment has been with the blood trails. granted when they fall while you can still see them that is great. One of them didn't and I had trouble finding blood. Granted once I did find blood it was bleeding heavily and he only went about 100yds from where I shot him. I might give the 3 blades a try next year just for more cut. I would still recommend them. They fly just like my field points and when the deer are falling within sight, you know they are doing their job!!

metrojoe, What you want to watch out for are the expandables that do not have a point that is a fair amount longer than the blades. If the blades run just about up to the tip on quartering shots one of the blades my contact the hide before the tip causing it to kick and it also happens on the expandables that have the blades with the leg. Rockey Mountain Snypers,G-5 Tekan's, Grim Reapers and Trophy Ridge Steelhead 125's are some good choice's.

Thanks for the info. I'm still undecided between fixed and expandables. I think I'm going to carry both next year also.

I've been looking at those Rocky Mountain Snyper XP3s for the last week or so. I found a web site where they test broadheads and they were very impressed with the Snypers. I've pretty much talked myself into a set or 2 of the Snypers, just have to put in the order.

I'm also going to carry a Slick Trick or 2 in the quiver.

I have a buddy that tried the G5 ones this year and he was very happy with them.Just maybe,one of these years I might just maybe give expandables a chance.I love my Muzzies so much and have been shooting them for so long I dont know if or why I should stop.

I hear ya Harvey….Long time Muzzy shooter myself.(Bad to the Bone) It was tough to give them up.

As you can see I didn't totally give up on fixed blades. Although I haven't harvested an animal with the Slick Tricks yet, I was impressed with the fact that they required no tuning. They shoot just like my field points.

I bought a new bow last winter and of course I couldn’t use my old arrows. Since I was basically starting over I thought I'd give expandables a try.

This was my first season with them and they worked flawlessly. Both deer went no more than 50 to 60 yards and I could hear them pile up.

They impressed me enough that I have a certain level of confidence in them now. It's just unfortunate Rocky discontinued that model.

I switched to Grim Reapers this year because they fly exactly like my field tips. My Fixed position heads shoot 2-3" high consistently at 25 yards, so I'm more confident with the Grim Reapers. The doe I shot with one this year had a blood trail within 2 yards of impact and expired within 50 yards.

I looked into mechanicals initially and if I were going to shoot any of them it would either be the G5 tekans or the Rages. However, I stuck with fixed blades, just so much less that can go wrong. If you're worried about shooting consistently and want fixed blades, get the G5 Montecs. They're simple with a deadly design and fly amazingly.