• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Duravanes

metrojoe

I made a big change this year by switching from fixed blade broadheads to expandables. I still carry one fixed blade broadhead in the quiver, (I suppose as a security blanket) but I did harvest 2 deer this year with the expandables so I now have some confidence in them.

Anyways, to get to my point, I'm also a firm believer in feather fletching, but I picked up some Duravanes from Gander the other day and refletched a few arrows with vanes. I brought them to the range last night and I didn't see any noticeable differences.

Anyone have any input on Duravanes?

MJ- Vanes will weigh a bit more than a feather will, you may loose a couple of fps. Vanes are water proof! Usually quieter than a feather. Offer more in color selection.

I think feathers have a small bit of an advantage in stabilizing the arrrow. If your bow is tuned properly that should have no affect, and as stated are a tad faster out of the bow, and I think that a feather stays glued to the arrow better as well.

Each have their advantage I tend to bounce around.. one year I'll shoot feathers, next vanes.. last year I shot Quick Spin vanes and was very pleased... but then again, this year I shot feathers for hunting? Go figgure.

Carried and did all our fletching with Duravanes, when I had my shop. There are +'s and -'s on both sides. It ultimately comes down to individual preference. Duravanes have been one of the top manufacturers for some time, and stand behind and service there product well. They have a line of vanes they developed specifically for the whisker bisket, and other 'contained' rests.

If you hunt late season, or in foul weather, you'll see the veins perform better, more consistently. They can be quieter too.

Thanks for the info. I went and shot them again and I didn't notice any difference shooting at 20 or 30 yards.

We had some wet snow while hunting a couple weeks ago and the feathers didn't hold up to well. I really like the durablity factor of vanes. I think I'm going to refletch all my arrows for next season.

I am an avid target shooter and bowhunter and at one time I used to believe that feathers were the most accurate thing to put on an arrow as I was told this by all the extremely "knowledgeable" people around me. I was on board with this tribal knowledge until 2 years ago when things just didn't make sense to me. After trial and error for my indoor arrows I have now switched over to shooting with 4" vanes on my 2613's as I have found them slightly more accurate as long as my setup has absolutely no fletching contact and the vanes are not nicked at all. I am even starting to see this transition over the last year with some of the top indoor pro's and expect to see this transition further in the future. My outdoor arrows I always shoot vanes as vanes will adsorb moisture which will affect arrow flight slightly. Even with moisture resistant sprays I was unable to completely alleviate that problem.

General notes:

1) Vanes have a faster downrange velocity than feathers do for the same length as feathers have more drag than vanes do.

2) Vanes will decrease the spine of your arrow more than feathers due to the slightly added weight to the back of the arrow.

3) Feathers will adsorb moisture and affect your arrow flight where vanes will stay unaffected in the rain

4) If you have any fletching contact feathers will be by far more repeatable and accurate as vanes will be significantly more affected by any fletching contact especially when it is colder outside.

5) Vanes typically come from the factory with reagents on them that will have a tendency for glues to not adhere well, this even includes the so called vanes that state they don't. To take care of this problem rub the base of the vanes with rubbing alcohol and allow them to dry before gluing to the arrow.

6) Vanes will cause greater erratic flight if there are any nicks in the vanes or they start to look distorted for any reason. Feathers are much less affected by discontinuities in its profile.

In summary I have found vanes more accurate as long as I make sure I have zero fletching contact. As far as vane manufacturers they all make a great product and I am currently using duravanes due to their color selection, durability, and price.