• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

The Rut is Here! (pics included)

I was out searching for some waterfowl to photograph this evening when I stumbled across the honey hole of rutting buck activity. I saw three bucks within five minutes and plenty of does. Here's a series of shots I was able to capture.

The unsuspecting doe

browsingdoeva9.jpg

She senses something in the distance

alertdoedx4.jpg

The approaching buck

bucktrackingadoerz3.jpg

The encounter

theencounteria0.jpg

I would have a few tighter shots of the buck, but I wimped out and began to back away slowly as he approached (fearing a brow tine to the abdomen). My motion, even though extremely slow and deliberate, scared the buck off into the alder thicket. I'll be sure to return to this spot over the next couple of weeks and see if I can improve upon these images. Hope you enjoy. Mike

Thanks everyone. Steve, I'd like to take credit for the bokeh affect with the buck, but it was a matter of necessity. Much like the grouse shots I posted a while back, the light conditions were extremely low. I was shooting wide open with my 100-400 at an ISO of 800 with the exposure compensation set to a -2/3 and was still only getting shutter speeds between 1/40 of a second for the tighter shots to 1/160 for the wider shots (thank god for IS). I really regret moving when that buck was approaching. I could have gotten some very nice portraits if I had sat tight. I guess there's always next time. smile.gif