• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Flying squirrel on feeding binge

When you're sitting at the kitchen table at the cabin late at night and playing Scrabble or gin or, well, other things you don't need to know about grin.gif and you see a shadow on the tree outside, you know it's a flying squirrel heading into the feeder to fatten up for winter.

These are from the cabin on Lake Beltrami, about 10 miles north of Bemidji, late on Saturday night.

Canon 20D, Canon 100-400L IS at 365mm, iso400, 1/60 at f5.6, 380EX flash, handheld

huh-.jpg

Same camera/lens, lens at 400mm, iso400, 1/250 at f10 in Av (aperature priority) mode, 380EX flash, custom function set to force shutter speed to 1/250 in Av mode and to synch with flash, handheld

nubbin.jpg

Great pics as usual, Steve.

Had one land on a big red pine about 4' from my head this summer while standing around the campfire. I dang near had to change my pants! It was the first one I've ever seen in the wild as well. Sneaky little bugger!

They live in the shed at my cabin. Eat out of my hand. Some let me pet them.

Rediculously cute. I don't put D-con in the sheds any more because i'm afraid of killing the little guys that nest in my coffee can full of bolts.

They use an old roll of insulation to pull off bedding.

I'm turning into an old softie!