• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Tiller settings on bow

Cooter

Yep.. there is a level tool that clamps to the string and usually has markings for measurment.. Like this one here.

0428.jpg

Move this item up the string to where the level meets the limb and take a measurement.. .do the same for the bottom limb.

I will say this.. I had/have a bow that shoots better with the bottom limb a tad tighter than the top.. Its all about fine tuneing, and how crazy you want to get with it... I used to be a hard core tune guy and spend hours at it. SO that I could shoot X's on a NFAA target at 20 yards with no fletching. As I have gotten older I have become a little more "normal"....

Most single and twin cam bows these days require the tiller be set equal top and bottom. I have not run across one yet nor have a read anything that says to adjust it differently. Easton makes a good tuning document that you can download for free that helps with tuning the bow. I belive in there it says to make sure the tiller is even on both ends.

I got the Easton tuning guide printed out and it is very helpful. However, I called the archery shop where I got my bow and the tiller settings will not be the same on that bow. The easy solution was to crank er all the way down and back it off one turn on each limb. The different tiller settings had something to do with axle being centered on the idler wheel and not on the cam - don't ask me to explain any further cuz I couldn't tell ya. grin.gif

You shouldn't need to worry about tiller settings on a single cam bow for the reason cooter just mentioned. It is important to pay close attention to it on a twin cam bow because the cams need to be in time with each other to eliminate nocking point movement.

One thing I learned in my PSE tech training: The string on a single cam bow does not run parallel to the riser. For this reason it is difficult and perhaps inaccurate to measure from the limb pocket to the string. Counting the turns may be the best way to keep the tiller even. It is an important adjustment. Obviously for a twin cam bow, to keep timing...but also to keep the bow shooting smoothly...if the tiller is not set equal, one limb is operating at a different poundage...higher or lower...this will cause nock travel and flight errors. (think of a sling shot with one tight band on one side, and a looser band on the other...how can it shoot straight?)

The first step we learned from George at PSE school..."Check the Tiller..even?...proceed"

good luck and good shooting.