• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Public Land near Forest Lake

DRH1175

DRH- it is just plain ugly during rifle/shotgun season out there.. and you do have to be aware and carefull of small game hunters. But the area is not hunted too overly hard during the bow season and muzzel loader season. Because of the huge pressure during gun season, I would say that your chances at a Pope and Young deer is less, but there are quite a few deer out there for sure.

Good luck!

I have no personal experience with hunting the public land around Forest Lake/Wyoming area, but I've heard from reliable sources that if you are willing to put some work into it and hike back to areas where other people are unwilling to go, then you'll see some deer and possibly some nice ones. I know if I didn't already have places to hunt...I would not hesitate to check out those public lands knowing that I'd probably have to go the "extra mile" to improve my odds...but if that meant the difference between hunting and not hunting, I would go for it. I say check it out...nothing ventured...nothing gained.

Thanks. I have a rifle spot so that is not an issue. I am just looking for spots for Bowhunting. I just moved into the area this spring so I havn't came accross any private land yet although I am always looking. I thought I would try a couple WMA in the area and Carlos for a start. Thanks for your input. I will be putting in some work. I have no issue with hiking in in the morning and hiking back out after dark.

I don't live there anymore, but I grew up in Linwood. I've hunted Carlos a lot and yup, there are deer in there, and nice ones, but you flat out gotta be willing to take a walk to get them.

Between Wyoming and Linwood on Cty rd 22 there is like a mile or longer straight shot. Right about in the middle of that straight shot, pull over, put on your boots and walk. When you're sick of walking, walk more. In other words, go where no one else is willing to go. It's some nasty walking but well worth it. Especially worth it if you're the type that will go out early and are willing to hang out all day.

Good luck to ya.