• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Dog chewing things....what to do?

311Hemi

My 15 month old lab has now started chewing things around the house when we are gone. Started out with his bed like 4 weeks ago (while he was sentenced to 4 weeks house arrest after surgery). We got him a new bed last week and he chewed that up. Now today he pulled 4-5 CD's off our rack and chewed them up.

We leave him out during the day which we have been doing for 4 months and was fine up until now. I hate to do it, but he is going back in the kennel while we are gone during the day.

Anyone have any other suggestions?

I started spraying the bitter apple spray on things that I don't want em to chew up, ie bed, couch, etc. It works, I tried tasting that stuff and I couldn't get the taste out of my mouth for a half hour.

Its like having a toddler. If he can reach he will chew it. I have a 8week old puppy and its no different. Its the same way with teenagers. We get complacent hoping they will behave cause they are older. The kennel is a great tool and more people need to realize that having the dog in the kennel can be a normal part of their dogs life. Your dog will learn to like his kennel and you will stop having stuff chewed. If you can't be there to watch him and you can't trust him there is only one solution.

Might have to get the bitter apple out again....but don't want to have to spray everything. Not a big fan of leavinig the dog chewing on bones, I mainly leave him kong type toys during the day.

Are you suggesting I get my lazy butt out of bed in the morning? Yea, I can't deny that is what I should probably be doing even though getting up early is not my thing. shocked.gif

I actually meant I will be crating him during the day....probably what I will do for now. Thats how he was brought up....and at 12 or 13 months we started leavvinig him out. It was fine for a while....but that seems to have changed.

And I need a dog that will both retrieve my ducks and point! doh! wink.gifgrin.gif