• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I don't know my bugs. (photo included)

Float,

This is a really nice image. I wanted to offer a suggestion of a larger aperture. You had 1/500 of a second at an aperture of 4.5. An aperture of F8 would have given you a whole lot of extra sharpness and really made that pic shine. I'm not absolutely sure on your lens with the exception that it was shot at 78mm. At 78mm, and the EOS' 1.6 crop factor, you could have gotten away with 1/125 without breaking the reciprocal rule. I don't want to underestimate your knowlege, as you might or probably do know this, but IMO the extra sharpness really could have been great with this one.

Minnow, great shot. I don't know if you were looking for a critique or just wanted to share with us. So thanks for sharing.

And this discussion is a good example of how different eyes like different things. I like that the coneflower is OOF. It emphasizes the insect and makes the background look at little more like it was painted on. That's the kind of thing I like. If the primary subject(s) was (were) meant to be both insect and flower, then stopping down the lens a couple stops to gain depth of focus definitely would be in order, as Tom already explained so well.

If you like, post the exif. Camera, lens, focal length, all that cool stuff? If you shot RAW, it's easy to get, as you know. I know there are ways to get at it easily if it was shot jpeg, but I'm not sure what those ways are. There's a free shareware program to get exif from an image, but last I checked it was a PC thing, and didn't work with Macs. Anybody know one that works with both systems? Hobbydog?

But don't post the exif if you don't feel like it. Sometimes it's just nice to share with your buddies. grin.gif

Minnow I also liked the bug in focus and the rest OOF, but that is an individual taste.

I am gone a week and see a few things happened....If I might make a suggestion. This is a photo sharing forum, there are many good forums that are devoted to photography. I believe it was mentioned in another thread that no one should feel that their photos are not up to "standards". If you want a critique of your photo include "CR" in your header or just ask for a critique, if you just want to share, do that and don't worry about someone critiquing your photo. Just a suggestion, not sure how most would feel about it.

There are many free EXIF programs for both windows and Mac, here are just a few.

EXIF-O-Matic - works with all platforms.

ViewEXIF - a plug in for IE that allows you to view EXIF from files embedded on the web.

Simple EXIF Viewer for Mac OS X - I don't believe that it supports NEF from Nikon, but most others.

There are others, these few just are a couple I could remember.

Thanks very much guys.

Thanks jonny for the ID,I was thinking you might be the one who answered the ? since you're our resident bug guy. wink.gif

Tom

Don't worry,it's hard to underestimate what's not there. grin.gif I actually did try this shot at F9 with a 1/125 shutter speed but I need to be faster because the darn bug had switched positions and I did not care for the end result.Feel free at any time to offer a critique.

Steve and DBL

Thanks much and I want you and all others here to know I welcome critiques to anything I post here.It's one way for me to get better and I also know all my images could be improved in some way.

I posted the info for the image with the photo.

Thanks again

Bruce

Bruce, thanks for the exif and the invitation to critique. They both help a lot. We don't assume that someone who has posted an image is looking for a critique, so your saying so is a nice invitation.

Maybe I'll be telling you things you already know, but here goes. grin.gif

At 1/500 and your focal length, you certainly could have dropped shutter speed to stop down the lens and get more depth of focus. IF that was what you wanted. You have a good lens there. It's not an IS lens, however, which makes me ask: Were you handholding? If you were, and do so regularly because a tripod feels awkard, I'd work at getting used to the tripod, and use a monopod as well. Sometimes the extra little bit of stabilization from a monopod makes all the difference, and it's a lot less cumbersome than a tripod. Stabilization makes a shooter more confident that the image will turn out sharp at a slower shutter speed.

Even with my 100-400L IS, I habitually stop down to f8 because that's where my copy of this lens is at its sharpest, and stopped down like that, my shutter speed sometimes drops to the point where I have to be VERY concerned about my steady technique, even with a monopod. I can't tell you how many images I've junked that just weren't sharp enough because of that.

Steve,

Thanks much for the info,it's always appreciated. I actually had my "decent" Slik tripod with me but I left it in the car since some event was going on and I didn't want to get in the way. National Camera is having there annual Tent sale this weekend and I know they always have a few monopods on sale so maybe I'll look into one. Anything I have to look for in deciding which one to go with? I've never used one because I've always pictured myself moving the whole monopod while pressing the shutter button.

Thanks again

If your looking at any Manfrotto, Gitzo for your tripod needs, my neighbor gets me deals through his company. [note from admin: please see rules regarding links to commercial businesses before posting again]

floating minnow,

I use a Manfrotto 3245 with a 3229 quick release head. The mono pod has a single twist lock for the lower leg and then uses a pistol grip to adjust the upper portion. It is very fast and easy. I have been using it through 2 sports seasons and would not leave the house without it. The entire setup should be around $100 to $130 depending on where you buy. I think National Camera had them in the Golden Valley store last time I looked.

I saw the sign for the tent sale, might have to wander over and see what they have.

Buzz,

Thanks very much for the kind offer, but I would hate to use your neigbors good will for my needs.

DBL,

Thanks,I will do some searching online to see what that particular model is going for then compare to what National is getting. I go to the tent sale evey year but usually come away with just some small ticket items since much of the stuff is junk or items that were overpriced to begin with.

As far as your critique suggestion,I thinks it's a good idea and hopefully others will also.

Float,

I use a system very much like DBL uses for a monopod system. I have a Manfrotto monopod (don't remember the number) and a 3265 pistol grip ballhead. This system give you the ultimate in flexibility and control with a ton of support. Much easier in than toting the tripod around. Send me an e-mail to tom @ imagesofcreation . net and I'll let you know where I think you'll get the best deal.