• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How many miles is too many?

hovermn

I suppose this is a good enough time to ask as any with the season "coming up!" lol Yes, I'm thinking snow and ICE! I've thought about buying a sled for some time for ice fishing. I'm looking at a price range of $500-1200. I know this isn't much, but considering what I'd use it for, and that it would be my first sled, it's a good starting point. Obviously, sleds in this price range are older and have considerable miles on them.

I know very little about 2 cyl engines, but have been told that after a certain mileage, you're probably looking at a rebuild soon. With my price range, I'd rather not put another "sled" into the sled rebuilding the engine right away, so my quesion, after lots of filler (lol) is how many miles is too many to consider? 3000k? 5000k? I was told once that at around 5000k you're looking at a rebuild. Obviously, this would have a lot to do with how it was driven, stored, make(?) and year?

Any help would be appreciated. The Old Polaris thread had me thinking about this. I suppose I could ask if there's a certain model that is known for reliability. Performance isn't a huge concern. After all, how much performance do you need pulling a portable? Just a thought.

Thanks in advance! Oh yeah, incase you're wondering why I don't just use the hovercraft, there are a number of reasons why it could be bad. First and foremost, the nose of the craft isn't always pointed in the direction of travel grin.gif

hovermn;

Most two stroke engines can last a lot longer than some people think. When looking at a snowmobile look at the overall condition of the whole sled. A low mileage sled that has been beat on and neglected will probably give you more headaches than a similar higher mileage one that was well cared for.

For your use I would recommend finding a fan cooled trail sled. Look for an engine from 340 up to 500cc. If you can find one that the track has been studded.

The weekend after Labor day in Lino Lakes is Haydays. This is the official start of winter. It is also one of the largest snowmobile swap meets in the world. They also have snowmobile grass drags as well. If you get there early you will see a lot of sleds in your price range that will meet your needs . Most of the people selling there are the same guys who rode the sled so you can get an idea of how it was treated. The best quick test of an engines overall condition is a compression test, look for even readings on all cylinders.

I do not look at miles when I buy an older sled, because the odometers are so easy to role back. Just make sure the track is in good shape and the compression is good and even across the cylinders. Compression gauge will set you back about $25, but well worth it when picking up a used sled. I picked up a 98 Polaris XC 600 and a 98 Polaris XC 700 for $2000 for both. Sold one for a grand to a friend. I put about $300 in to mine and he put about $200 in to his. Good running sleds for $1300 and $1200. Mine pulls the portable great and keeps up with all the big dogs in the UP of Michigan. I suggest a 600 or 700 liquid, so you can go trail riding also. There are many good deals out there with the winters we have had.

I usually ride long distances when I ride. My last SkiDoo had over 14,000 miles on it when I sold it, and it still ran good, but was admittedly starting to "tire out". My current sled is a 2003 SkiDoo and has over 5600 miles. 700 of that was put on the first 3 days I owned it. The way miles are put on a sled can be similar to miles put on a car. "Highway" miles or "city" miles affect them differently. A lot of putt'ing around and short heat-cool cycles will wear a motor more quickly than long term riding when everything is at proper running temps etc.

I always use a good quality synthetic, or synthetic blend oil and have put many thousands of trouble free miles on my sleds. As was said before, a quick compression test will tell loads about the condition of an engine.

A lot of good tips. I think that I'll always be a bit overly cautious when it comes to 2 cyl engines. I bought a yamaha V-max 600 engine a while ago to use in a hover and was told that it was a great runner and had great compression. This was bought over the internet so I didn't look at it in person (yeah, big mistake). Turns out a piston had fractured while running and sent pieces flying all over in the cylinder, scoring it up pretty bad. Later, I was told that this was common with that engine, or yamahas of that time.

If I do decide to buy a sled this year, I'll spend some time getting to know the owner and the sled before I make a decision.

Thanks!

I personally think that getting into the 3-4k mileage is getting up there. Yes...many sleds will run far past that without issues, but your chances are only increasing with the higher mileage. Unfortunately not everyone keeps up a sled properly...and it's hard to tell when buying a used sled if they summerize them properly. I think this is where a lot of engine issues come into play, and on top of the could can't check the engine internals out before buying. On top of that I feel many owners will not do the routine maintence thats required on sleds getting to 3-4k. Idler wheel bearings, slides, carbides, etc can all be getting to the repalcement point but stil be working fine when sold. You need to factor that in.

As was previously mentioned condition of a sled can tell a lot. If it looks beat but has low miles, chances are it was beat and could have issues (and might not have been kept up well). Also....a compression checker is your best friend when buying a used sled.

Finding out was has been done to the sled is a good thing...although hard to tell if someone is actually telling you the truth unless they have receipts.

Also, I will add that Polaris Indy 500's and XC 600's would be a good reliable sled. And buying a sled with studs would be good for running the ice.....sucks to pull a portable around with a sled on glare ice and no studs! The recomendation of a fan cooled sled is also something to thing about if it is mainly an ice fishing sled. Low/no snow conditons and liquid cooled sleds is sometimes and issue becuase of the no snow being thrown on the heat exchangers. Both will still have issues with slides in no snow condtions.

Sleds can last a long time, but not all of them do. My first sled was 1987 Yamaha excel 340. It had 5,000 miles of rough riding on it when I sold it to one of my buddies and he said at the end of last winter it had 12,800 miles on it and it still runs good. The sled I have now is a 1997 indy ultra with 6K on it and it runs real well too.