• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Northern hog sucker.......

I was fishing a part of the river that did have very swift current. It's about three feet deep and moving fast. But there is a back draw of current. Not really an eddie but more like a boil that would draw my line up into the curent and hold there without much weight. Caught it on half a crawler on a black 1/16 oz. jig head.

And no dtro it went back instead of being cut bait. Plenty of mooneye and redhorse swimming in there to use for that. Just ask Fishhead. wink.gif

Ah, that's one good looking fellow!(the one with the black ring around his lip)

Hogsuckers are always a great catch, but especially your first one. I landed my first hog a few years back from the Red Cedar river after trying for them for years. Man, was I happy! Since then I have caught and released maybe half a dozen from Minnesota waters, including two that would have easily eclipsed the state record. These awesome fish are still swimming, waiting to be caught by another angler who hopefully appreciates them as much as you and I.

Once again, congratulations! ~hogsucker

Hey all,

good job on your catch.

just a tip if you want to catch them reliably.

Go to downtown rochester and stand on the bridge (4th street i believe) or the railroad trussle. when the water is clear and low you can see the northern hogsuckers on the river bed. It is relatively easy to catch 3-4 an afternoon by dangling a piece of crawler on a hook in front of them. Watch as they hover over it and then lift them up when the slurp it in. Not as talented or as hard I admit as doing it from the river bank, but this is a way for you to land one if you haven't.

I think i saw one of them things. I was wading in the mississippi and i saw some kind of a sucker or something. Ive shot many redhorse and carp and it wasnt one of those for sure. But it was blotchy and mottled brown. But it was about the same shape of a redhorse and right when i saw it i thought of the pics i had seen of them. Could it have been?

Quote:

dtro: Bait?
smile.gif

(Couldn't resist with that big flattie in your profile!)

yep, and I'll give you one guess what the first thing is I think of when I see your username tongue.gif