• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

4 Wheelers

Holy $#%&^*%$!??? Where's the Tylenol - ala Clark Griswald in Christmas Vacation. I've been patiently scouting in person and retrieving deer cam photos this Summer. Keeping my time in well-used trail areas, etc., to a minimum and the past few nights I've been invaded by 4 wheelers.

Neighbor down the road just bought his grandson a 4 wheeeler and they come tearing through the woods on the neighbors' property to the left and the right of us. Both neighbors aren't always here as the one has a seasonal cabin and the other is building a house an not moving in til October. And so they do it when they're not around -usually in the last few hours of light and one night this week - the neighbor and his buddy came tearing in at 10:30 pm.

He never does this when the neighbors are here and I know neither neighbor would want him doing it. The one keeps to himself pretty much and hunts in the fall too. The other, building the house, told me it takes a lot of guts to do something like that and didn't seem very happy. But I doubt he'll do anything about it because it won't bug him until he moves in this fall. Again, they wait til he and the building crew leave at night to start up their off roading.

It'll be interesting to see my deer cam pics this week to see if the deer have been going totally nocturnal cause of this. Hopefully they'll keep coming through in the early morning at least.

BTW, I know they come down our driveway when we're at work cause there's 4 wheeler tracks on the driveway, AFTER I put several NO TRESPASSING signs up at the entrance a few nights ago.

II'm thinking about putting my trail cam on a tree pointed down the driveway so I get some pics of them in action and then taping them to my no trespassing signs. grin.gif

Jerks, that sucks. What really sucks is it isn't your place to confront them. I don't think that deer in agricultural areas are as affected by this, unless of course it is a nightly thing. If this riding on your land ceases before too long, the deer should be right back to normal... However if it continues, then you might have some issues, but hopefully the landowner will put a stop to it before then.

I hunt a ranch in North Dakota that has the renter riding around every day checking on his cattle.He has even come out and check towards evening while im hunting and I use to let it bother me alot.After I watched him do this and still have deer come by me but a little more cautious.

What what I have learned from this is that its like a tractor in the field,the deer do get use to it.Now I would be more concerned if there was never any noise around and then when I was hunting and someone was zipping around in the woods with a 4-wheeler.Then I believe it would be a even greater problem.Deer will adapt to there surroundings.

Yeah. I'm not trying to be a whiner and they'll probably adapt but its more about the concept of private property to me I guess. Why would you feel like you have the right to enter someone else's property without asking them if its okay first. Do you loiter around in someone's driveway in the suburbs or city? Why would you do it in the country? Does it make it better cause its a 1/4 mile long dirt road through the woods that's the driveway? I think not.

As for vehicles, they've grown quite acustomed to them. Three driveways run through the many acres of woods I hunt on. In fact, I was bow hunting the morning before gun season last year when my wife left for work. She drove down the driveway, waved to me in my stand, and less than a minute after she left, a group of 5 does emerged from the slough past the driveway and crossed in front of me - almost as if they knew on cue what time it was safe to begin their daily routine.

Yep. I took the two days before gun hunting off and hunted all day looking for that big buck last year. Never showed. Didn't the first morning of gun opener either, though I tagged a yearling doe from my ground blind. My strategy was to hang back near the typical sanctuaries with my bow while the gun hunters set up along the main travel routes. No one saw a mature buck. : P I'd say the bucks outnumber the does this year (but because there are a lot of yearlings) and a lot of does were tagged last year.

BTW, my wife would rather I take some days off to hunt during season so I spend more evenings and weekends with the family when everyone's around.