• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Scents

How many of you use them? When do you use them and what do you use?

I had a lot of luck with Trails End 309 last year. That is, I had a lot of deer stop to investigate the dripper and mock scrape - almost all does as the bucks decided to take a year off. grin.gif But we've got a new, nice-sized crop of yearling bucks this year and some core veterans - sort of like the Minnesota Twins. grin.gif And I'm frothing at the mouth about trying some scents with them this year to see how they react.

Don't get me wrong, I don't thinkthey're the end all, nor do I think they will draw in the big boys unless they're already there, but I do think they will get the deer to stop by for a few seconds if they're in the neighborhood - long enough for a shot. Plus I just like trying new things when hunting.

Has anyone used that buck bomb products? Looks like it might be nice for making a trail.

Over the past 6 years I have used James valley scents and it seems to work well.I believe they are out of South Dakota.I dont know if it is any better as they all have thier gimmicks int there ads.They say theres is fresher and has not been stored in a store for who knows how long.

I use them, typically pre-rut and early rut phase. I think more as a cover scent than an attractant. I honestly cannot testify one way or another as to the effectiveness of doe in heat or other types of scent. I know I have never had a mature buck come screaming in on a scent pad, however the ones that I have had come by me may or may not have without the scent, I really don't know. Although I think they can be effective under the right situation and with the right buck, I'm just not a big scent guy.

Stratosman. I hear you. I don't buy bottles and bottles of it but like to try a few out each year. I also peed on my mock scrape and had success with that last year. Curiousity scent more than anything.

There was a very interesting article in F&S this month about scent makers and how they get their scents. One of them said that if the company making it doesn't have their own deer herd, be very suspicious as their are not enough deer in captivity to make all of the scent that's sold each year - or rather that some companies consider anything with four legs and hooves to be a deer. confused.gif

I sure did. I've read numerous articles saying that a deer would be more curious than anything, not fearful. That the realize its not another deer but don't necessarily equate it with a predator. I peed on a mock scrape several times. What did I have to lose. Deer did check it out but no farmer's daughters. mad.gif