• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

things that sting (6 pics)

was out this morning on the trails again.......geesh... the woods are burning up!...we need rain! shocked.gif....I came across some bugs with stingers on em...some resemble the bees but don't sting....here's a few images....jonny grin.gif

a "drone fly"...these guys don't sting but certainly look menacing

beefly.jpg

paper wasp (i think)

hornet.jpg

bumble bee

beeonthistle.jpg

resin bee( i think)

DSCF2046-1.JPG

baldfaced wasp

baldfacewasp.jpg

yellowjacket

DSCF2029-1.JPG

thanks Tom!......I'm still practicing...some are clear and quite acceptible...others are well...."so so"..... grin.gif...the lens on my fuji forces me to put the thing 1/4" to 1/2" away from my subject..not really that happy with the lens..little to wide for me......28mm x 300mm...jonny grin.gif

Real nice pics. I like #5. I'm jealous you are still getting out in the woods, and maybe jealous of your work schedule. My excuse lately is work, work, work...I'm dying to get the new Canon out and do some lernin.

As usual, you da' man when it comes to bug pics, jonny. Particulary like the syrphid fly in the first one; it's a beaut! Lots of them and their larvae out and about as of the last week or so here. The larvae are major consumers of soybean aphids.