• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

A couple more (photos)

Seems there's been a lot of posts recently on Dragonfly's so when I was out the other day, I tried to get some myself. It was kind of hard to get close to them in the stealth boat, but I did manage a few. It was pretty windy as well which really didn't help, but I think these turned out pretty good...

d2x0169zb9.jpg

d2x0185jf0.jpg

d2x0110lr0.jpg

d2x0177hb0.jpg

d2x00151fl6.jpg

d2x0133hz0.jpg

d2x0176zw6.jpg

Tom, there's some very nice work in there. Macro or telephoto?

A great guide to dragonflies that doesn't cost too much is "Dragonflies of the North Woods" by Kurt Mead, part of the North Woods Naturalist Series. It won a National Outdoor Book Award. There's also a companion guide to damselflies.

I've sold a handful of dragonfly images, and I decided right off the bat that investing in these guides is the way to go. It's a lot better to label your image "four-spotted skimmer" than "unkown dragonfly," after all, and photo editors appreciate that. I'm not being picky. We're all friends here, and just as Tom doesn't need to know the species to compose a compelling image, I don't need to know a species' name to appreciate the beauty of the composition. grin.gif

I purchased that same guide at Barnes-n-Noble in Duluth at the mall(last year)....a great book for sure!.....as far as identifying the species for Tom...I guess I could apologize for identifying the dragonfly for him(I'm assuming Steve's post here was directed at me subtly) ...never really thought of it as a negative...of course his photo is of the "superb class" and certainly doesn't need "IDing"....just looked at the image..saw what it was...and posted it.....guess from now on I won't ID images in the thought that offense just may be taken......and I to appreciate the beauty of these dragon flies as much and maybe even more then the casual poster here.....(why else would I post so many dragonfly images?...because I think they're just a beautiful little creature I guess! tongue.gif...anyway...I'll try to be more observant of everyone's wishes and thoughts and only ID if requested...how's that grin.gifjonny

Jonny,

I truly appreciate your post on the ID. I am not claiming complete ignorance to dragonflies, but I honestly didn't know the name. I don't think that Steve meant it that way. I will definitely look for that book the next time I'm at a big bookstore. I know my birds, but dragons, (and insects) I have no clue on. If I don't post the name of what I shot (like flowers) then I appreciate the ID's because I didn't know. I see those flower posts that you guys make from up there in the north woods, and if you didn't tell me what they were, then I wouldn't know. So thanks again.

Steve,

I have shot dragons before with the macro, but it is truly difficult to get that close to a dragonfly. I shot these from a boat with the 300 mm--thus the shallow depth of field. The lighting wasn't great, and I needed the shallow DOF to get the shutter speed I needed. I would have loved to have been able to shoot them at F11.

Nope, Jonny, nothing was aimed at you. I don't like it when I see others doing subtle put-downs on these boards, either. I try hard not to do that kind of thing as a person, because it's sneaky-mean, and if I did it as an FM mod I wouldn't last long. If there are images of animals, birds, insects, etc., that are posted without ID, I think it's just a kind measure to provide the ID if one know it, and I've always appreciated your willingness to be . . uh . . . wait for it . . .

. . . Jonny on the spot! grin.gif

Tom: I figured you were in telephoto land with those. I've just ordered a set of Kenko extension tubes that will allow my 100-400 to act very much like a macro. Nothing like being able to stand off six feet and fill the frame with a small butterfly! Although, when the tubes are on you can't focus the main lens out at its longer focus ranges. Well, we always have to give up something to get something else, eh? grin.gif

Thanks Steve....this was just a case of interpretation(the cup half full or half empty kind of thing shocked.gif)....lol!...your wording...."I'm not being picky" actually was what had me going there for a day I will admit tongue.gif...after all "I" had just posted and thought you didn't want an ID of the photos.....simple as that......the wording of your phrase certainly led me to believe that....anyway..everything's ok again.... all is well in sun baked northern Minnesota grin.gif

I have been contemplating a set of ex rings myself, but with a MFD of 4 ft I don't know if I truly need them. I will probably get them, but I'm in no hurry. I'm trying to save my self for the big momma grin.gif