• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Expandable broadheads thru ground blind mesh?

Boomer

Another question for the guru's.

I've read expandable broadheads may open if shot through a groundblind with mesh windows. Is this true or can it be done? I haven't bought any broadheads yet, but will be doing so soon. cool.gif

Forget the guru,but yes I have shot NAP splitfire 125's through my Double Bull blind with no problem at all.I have also giuded handicapped hunters who have shot thier crossbow bolts without a problem either with expandables.

I guess there could always be a chance but I personally have not run into this problem.

Spoke to Brooks at Double Bull a few weeks ago on that, and as long as they're not the "L-shaped" expandable blades, such as the Rocket Hammerheads, etc., they'll pass thru no problem.

However, to be sure the best test is always to set it up and shoot a few at the target through the blind-netting.

Good luck,

Joel

Maybe I should restate what I said.I dont believe they open.I have shot deer from my blind and just maybe they might have opened,but it didnt seem to hurt my shot.It might be kind of hard to tell when the arrow flies well,hits it target and then opens.Question might be,when did it open?

I will not dissagree with any of the previous posters experiences, but I will say that I would not be willing to chance that shooting through the mesh would effect a possible shot of a lifetime. I'm just not willing to take that chance. Personally I wouldn't even shoot a fixed blade through the mesh. That's not saying it will not work, just again I would not be willing to risk it effecting my shot at all.

I really like the idea of shooting thru the mesh becuase in the lowlight hours the mesh really does a great job of concealing the motion and knocks down the "glare" of someone in the blind. However, my experiences are not as good as I would like as far as shooting thru the mesh. W/o any mesh, I shoot out of the blind and hit a 1/2 dollar spot w/high regularity. When I put the mesh on, there isn't any regularity and usually hit about 1-2" around the spot. Sometimes I hit it, but the mesh definitely has an effect. I've shot a number of fixed heads along w/Vortex, Rockets, NAP Shockwaves among others and spent a decent amount on replacement mesh!

I just don't feel comfortable shooting thru it so I tug one side of the window down ahead of the deer getting in too tight. I've only had two diff't occasions where they slipped in on me before I had a chance to open the window but it was my fault...I was snoozing and woke up to deer w/in 20yds and already on alert. However, keeping the mesh up was the difference. Had it been down and when I popped up, I'm certain they would've seen me. I didn't shoot at the deer but feel I could've pulled one side down as the fed off w/o boogering them. I will never know but that situation doesn't happen enough for me to be concerned about it.

I wish I could feel better about shooting thru the mesh because it could be a nice advantage.

Thanks for the info. everyone.

I guess I'll shoot a few through the mesh to see what happens. If it's effecting the flight at all I won't chance it. Did I mention this site is sweet! Great info. without having to learn the hard way!

My thoughts on this are that you should be fine with a fixed blade broadhead through mesh. Though I've heard cut on contact are the best broadhead so use in this situation.

Now an expandable, I would think more things could go wrong but I can't verify this as I have never and don't plan to use them anytime soon. Why? I am happy with my fixed blade Muzzys, simple as that.

If you are one to two inches off and aimed directly in the middle of the vitals, aren't you still hitting the vitals and making a clean kill?

I am not saying this is always the case, but if you've never shot out of blind before or only done it on a limited basis - i.e. the first time is the time a deer walks out and you never practiced in your backyard before - there's a good chance you're going to be a little "off" on your shot. Focusing your pin on your target through the mesh feels a little different and requires some practice. If you're going to use a blind a lot, it's my belief the mesh can be to your advantage and that you should practice through it before you actually use it to take a deer. Pick a window you won't use much at all (or a spot on the Double Bull).

Another option is a blind like my Escape Deluxe where the windows can be unzipped in advance, the mesh taken down, and the windows latched back up on a hook and bungy. Then you can silently lower the window when its time for the shot.